Salary: $30 per hour
The SoBRO Education and Career Development Division offers exciting, cutting-edge youth and adult programs that focus in the areas of education, career exploration, and leadership development. These programs provide participants with opportunities for self-development and expression through enrichment/project-based curricula.
SoBRO is seeking to hire an Instructor to teach Adult Basic Education (level 6.0 – 8.9) and High School Equivalency Instruction. The Instructor must have a proven track record in literacy development and teaching adults in the area of ABE/HSE (traditional and contextualized instruction). The Instructor should be able to develop and/or implement curriculum and be able to assess and measure student progress.
In this position, the Instructor will offer a 12 week long ABE/HSE Preparation courses for participants. The courses will take place four days a week (Mon – Thurs), six hours a day. The courses have its foundation in the belief that education is crucial for self-improvement and self-sufficiency and that it should be seen as an on-going process.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Provide ABE instruction that will help them increase to one NRS level (transition to an HSE level)
Provide HSE instruction to adult students, ages 18 & up, to help them obtain the necessary skills to be able to read, write, and compute proficiently and pass the TASC HSE exam.
Instruct in the program in a manner that supports student retention and daily attendance consistent with the Adult Learning Common Core Standards while assisting students in meeting education goals. These duties will include the following:
- Deliver appropriate ABE/HSE instruction
- Responsible for maintaining 75% average daily attendance of student roster
- Conducts follow-up calls to students who are absent for two consecutive days
- Develop, implement, and evaluate appropriate instructional programs
- Establish and maintain a daily schedule of instruction
- Provide group instruction as scheduled by the agency
- Report attendance, test scores, and outcomes as requested by funders
Provide indirect services to students:
- Maintain documentation of evaluation, ongoing instructional programs, student progress, and communications
- Prepare reports and collect data as requested by the Director of Education and required by private and public funders
- Attend related meetings relevant to program and students
- Consult counselors, administrators, and co-workers regarding HSE program
- Present and interpret program to a variety of audiences in a variety of settings, if necessary
- Consult with education and employment counselor to develop and maintain student’s educational and employment plan
- Provide a comfortable and supportive learning environment
- Adhere to curriculum
- Attend and participate in staff meetings of the ECD Division as required
- Participate in professional development/in-service per year as required by funder
- Participate in the supervision/evaluation process
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor of Arts/Science Degree required
- Current New York State teacher certification preferred
- At least two years of successful teaching experience with an adult population
- Ability to set appropriate priorities, plan work systematically, and meet deadlines
- Knowledge of project-based learning and Youth Development principles
- Demonstrated problem solving
- Excellent organization, communication, and decision making skills
- Able to manage multiple time sensitive assignments.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel, and/or other software applications
- Ability to work collaboratively with others
- Finger print clearance/Background check
- Fluency in Spanish a plus
To apply contact Joseph Torres: firstname.lastname@example.org