The Literacy Assistance Center is seeking an adolescent literacy consultant to provide professional development and technical assistance to nine community-based afterschool literacy programs for middle school students funded by the NYC Department of Youth and Community Development (DYCD). 20 days of consulting services will be required between December 2015 and June 2016, with the potential to continue and increase services after July 1, 2016.
Providing customized technical assistance to the nine programs and supporting program development
- Conducting winter and spring site visits to each of the nine sites to document best literacy practices
- Updating a dedicated adolescent literacy website on a quarterly basis with best practices from each program
- Designing and facilitating webinars and/or workshops for the programs on topics they request
- Providing coaching, planning or resource support to the programs
- Working with the LAC’s subcontractor to plan, facilitate, and provide follow up services for quarterly professional learning community sessions held with the program managers
- Meeting with the funder (DYCD) and/or the Executive Director of the LAC upon request
- Tracking and reporting on the services and number of hours provided by the LAC’s subcontractor
- Writing and submitting monthly reports for DYCD
- Minimum of a Master’s degree in education
- Minimum of five years of experience as a professional developer, literacy coach, or college instructor
- Expert knowledge of best practices in literacy instruction for struggling adolescent readers and writers and NYCDOE assessment
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- Ability to present to and work with key stakeholders, including program managers and government partners
- Willingness to work with a team of professional developers
- Willingness to travel and work in programs throughout NYC
- Technologically adept
Consulting rate based on experience.
Please send a cover letter and resume to Ira Yankwitt, Executive Director, Literacy Assistance Center, at: firstname.lastname@example.org. The search will close by November 23, 2015.