In support of literacy and STEM learning, the Manager will play a leadership role in:
- Pedagogy (theme/unit design, curriculum development, lesson planning selection and development
- Design and implementation of related professional development and coaching services at targeted schools
- Partnership development
- Evaluation and assessment
- Literacy immersion program development.
Key responsibilities include:
Teaching and Learning
- Research, review and adapt pre-developed curricula and best practices in literacy and STEM for quality and fit with afterschool program goals
- Use a collaborative framework with site directors and youth workers to develop theme-based units and literacy/STEM curricula with an emphasis on project-based learning.
- Co-create lessons and activities alongside site directors and youth workers for 13 locations.
- Work with schools to integrate or align schoolday and afterschool curricula
- Identify best teaching and learning practices in afterschool hours, with a focus on literacy and STEM
- Develop strategies for improving performance, including tools, policies, and practices
- Research, develop and support implementation of educational resources
- Contribute to the collection and review of outcomes data
- Collaborate with program leadership to continuously strengthen academics, based on staff feedback, outcomes data, best practice, and ongoing reflection.
- Assist Division Director in planning and implementing professional development in literacy and STEM for site directors and youth workers
- Lead group trainings and workshops for site directors and youth workers
- Serve as a lead coach in order to help site directors and frontline staff to build upon their existing knowledge and skills as academic mentors, and to grow in their abilities
- Employ highly effective coaching techniques to help staff achieve their potential, such as building confidentiality and trust, guiding conversations through open-ended questions (v. directives), meeting employees where they are employing effective listening and reflection, establishing action and outcomes.
- Collaborate with deputies and site directors to strengthen planning and facilitation skills at the sites.
- Employ effective observation and feedback protocols that support staff growth
- Research, develop and support strategic partnerships to build our capacity to deliver high quality and diverse literacy/STEM experiences for our youth
Literacy Immersion Program Development
The Education Manager and Lead Coach will work closely with the division director to establish SNA’s literacy immersion model to help all students, particularly struggling readers, to meet or exceed grade level. The Manager will work closely with program leadership to ensure cohesion in program planning across the division and leverage collective thinking.
BK Story Voyager
- Develop and oversee programming for BK Story Voyager in partnership with and Division Director
- Develop job descriptions and oversee bookmobile staff
- Oversee books, supplies, equipment, technology, website of bookmobile
- Design program and plan workshops for all designated program sites.
- Collect and aggregate feedback from participants (caregivers and children). Survey participants and create goals to improve quality and participants
- Design and oversee mentorship and academic interventions in literacy
- Develop partnerships with colleges, high schools and volunteer organizations to provide 1:1 mentorship
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Required Education: Bachelor's Degree in Education, Master’s degree strongly preferred
- Min of 5 years teaching experience, either in schoolday or afterschool settings
- Solid understanding of language and literacy development
- Demonstrated ability to develop engaging, hands-on curriculum and lesson plans
- Demonstrated ability to effectively coach young adults and model lessons
- Demonstrated ability to design literacy programs
- Strong leader, creative and highly personable
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; bilingual a plus.
- Computer literate, Microsoft Suite and Google Suite.
- Excellent organizational skills.
Salary commensurate with experience. Send resumes and a thoughtful cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls, please. St Nicks Alliance is an equal opportunity employer, and encourages peoples of all backgrounds to apply.