Reports to: Learning Strategist
About Phipps Neighborhoods:
Phipps Neighborhoods helps children, youth, and families in low-income communities rise above poverty. We work in South Bronx neighborhoods where we can address the greatest barriers to lasting success through education and career programs, and access to community resources.
We’re dedicated to our neighborhoods for the long term, supporting individuals and families as they establish self-sufficiency. Our services create opportunities for people to thrive in every aspect of their lives.
As part of the Education and Learning Initiative, the Education Specialist will be part of a team responsible for guiding the design and implementation of instructional programming at Phipps Neighborhoods. The Education Specialist will facilitate development and execution of academic interventions and learning strategies to support the individual learning strengths of our diverse population of learners. S/he will provide instructional support for staff and be integrally involved in building and refining curricula and assessment instruments.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Observe, provide feedback, and coach program staff in all areas of teaching and learning
- Under the supervision of the Learning Strategist, with guidance from the Program Director, assist instructional staff with the planning and implementation of engaging, standards-aligned units, lessons, and projects
- Forge collaborations with instructional staff to ensure that curriculum and instruction meet the needs of a diverse population of learners, is aligned with Common Core State Standards, and meets contractual expectations and benchmarks
- Provide on-going instructional and curriculum development support for instructional staff and volunteers by conducting observations, on-site coaching, and resource development
- Craft and implement academic intervention strategies that address the individualized learning strengths of a diverse population of learners
- Under the direction of the Learning Strategist, design assessment and goal setting instruments and oversee staff and volunteers through the implementation of these processes
- Coordinate comprehensive academic services for special populations of students
- Work with instructional and administrative staff to set high and measurable goals for student achievement
- Assist Learning Strategist with training and professional development workshops
- Demonstrate an understanding and practice of the principles of positive youth development
- Attend all relevant meetings, trainings, workshops, outside events and organization-wide activities
- Handle additional responsibilities and functions as assigned by Learning Strategist and/or Director of Learning
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 3+ years of experience in the field of education, preferably including a combination of classroom teaching and administrative experience, in both school and out of school time settings
- Must be able to work 25-30hrs/wk, from 1pm to 7pm
- Demonstrated record in achieving results with low-income, urban adolescents
- Familiarity with research-based approaches to hands-on, experiential, community–based and/or project based learning models, differentiated instruction, mixed-skill and age groupings, culturally relevant teaching practices, formative assessment techniques and working with English Language Learners and students who are striving learners
- Strong knowledge of the academic and social needs of youth who are both in and out of school
- Ability to participate as part of an interdisciplinary team
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Understanding of and ability to meet performance-based outcomes
- Ability to adapt quickly to change and work within a results-oriented environment
- Computer literacy
- Enthusiasm, creativity, initiative – and a sense of humor are a MUST!
Please forward your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Place Education Specialist in the subject line.
In your cover letter please outline why this position is of interest, exactly how your experience matches the qualifications stated and what you believe differentiates you from other candidates. Additionally, please provide your salary requirements. Submissions without cover letters and salary requirements will not be considered.