Riis Settlement seeks an experienced, creative, hard-working and dynamic ESOL instructor to work 9 hours per week in the evenings (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, 6:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m.). Successful candidates will have experience creating student-centered learning environments, using a communicative approach, and incorporating civic engagement, job readiness and technology in the classroom. The ESOL Instructor will work within the Immigrant Services Program to provide limited English proficient adults with contextualized instruction that gives students the civic and English language skills to effectively participate in the English-speaking environment in which they live. The instructor fosters a classroom environment that offers participants the resources, opportunities and support needed to help them grow and achieve self-sufficiency.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Participant Interaction
- Provide contextualized, content-based English language instruction at beginning, intermediate and/or advanced levels. Provide authentic language tasks, interactive activities, and opportunities to practice speaking and writing for fluency.
- Design and implement engaging lesson plans that incorporate best practices in TESOL and adult education and assist students in meeting the curriculum standards for appropriate NRS level through a variety of instructional methods adapted to diverse learning styles.
- Incorporate civic engagement into ESOL classroom instruction.
- Design and administer student assessment tools that gauge student learning and monitor achievement of performance outcomes.
- Create a welcoming environment that fosters community and learning among program participants.
- Administrative Functions
- Submit bi-weekly unit plans that address material to be covered in class.
- Assist with registration and pre- and post-testing as needed (training will be provided if not certified to administer BEST Plus).
- Attend staff development activities and monthly program meetings.
- Assist with reporting requirements as needed, including student goal-setting and outcome assessment.
Statement of Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree and 2+ years relevant teaching experience (Master’s in TESOL and/or Education preferred)
- Ability to modify/adapt existing lesson plans and curricula to fit program needs, and/or create original lesson plans
- Thorough, detailed knowledge and understanding of English grammar with the ability to clearly explain all verbs, tenses and parts of speech.
- Ability to interact with diverse ethnic populations and empathize with people unfamiliar with local culture.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with team.
- Advanced computer literacy and proficiency in Microsoft XP.
- Ethical and professional conduct that facilitates the building of a respectful, trusting and collaborative relationship with program staff and students.
Send resume and 3 references to Johan Lopez, Program Coordinator, at email@example.com. Please type “Your Name – ESOL Instructor” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and qualified candidates will be contacted by phone to schedule an interview.