- Plan and facilitate small group sessions with engaging and motivational openings.
- Supervise student-centered, structured service-learning activities.
- Generate interest in service-learning activities and interview potential participants.
- Document activities and input data regularly.
- Create and teach curriculum on topics such as work readiness, relationships, health, financial literacy, and other life skills areas of particular interest to young adults.
- Utilize real world contexts and excursions to promote connections and engagement.
- Facilitate academic readiness workshops.
- Analyze student tests for trends and advise students and staff on assets and needs in group or individual contexts.
- Facilitate project-based learning that is hands on and engaging, and not based on traditional lecture based instruction.
- Promote student leadership and ownership of experiences within the program. Redirect negative behaviors as needed; engage young people in reflection and work towards improvement of outlooks and behaviors.
- Actively participate in designated meetings, training sessions and special events.
- Associate’s degree; Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of two years of teaching and / or youth engagement experience, preferably in working with high risk youth and the ability to facilitate groups.
- Knowledge of additional languages a plus.
- Positive youth development trainings a plus.
- Culturally competent, knowledgeable of community, appreciative of diversity, and able to ensure that programs are delivered in a way that is sensitive to the cultures of participants
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent hospitality skills.
Y Roads Center – East New York
Attn.: Parvoneh Shirgir
60 Williams Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11207