East Side House Settlement is a community resource in the South Bronx. We believe education is the key that enables all people to create an economic and civic opportunities for themselves, their families and the communities. We are seeking a dynamic, hard-working and creative leader who shares our passion for providing exceptional programming to children and families in the Hunts Point neighborhood of the South Bronx.
East Side House is looking for a highly-motivated, organized, and supportive person to work with East Side House at Entrada Academy located in the Hunts Point section of the Bronx. The Group Leader is a part-time position working up to 15 hours a week and reports to the after-school Program Director. We are seeking creative support staff with experience working with the youth in the following (but not limited to) areas: Music, visual arts, media technology, dance, sports and recreation, health awareness and community leadership.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan, implement and document successful educational, recreation, youth leadership, and community service and arts activities with school-aged children.
- Adhere to policies and procedures in a pro-active manner, making the safety and care of children your primary focus.
- Build a positive relationship with each after-school participant in your care, and foster positive connections between participants. Actively engage with children at all times with the goal of fostering the positive development of each child and the group.
- Professional conduct at all times with school staff, parents, children, etc.
- Effectively manage assigned group. Maintain and enforce progressive discipline policy.
- Assist in enrollment, recording and submitting daily attendance records, and any other required documents to Director.
- Inspect on a daily basis all facilities, equipment, and supplies and be sure all are accounted for and put away at the end of each day.
- Work as a part of a collaborative team, providing support to any specialist implementing activities.
- Actively participate in all aspects of staff or member development, including bi-weekly supervision, team meetings, pre-service training, and an additional at least 15 hours of training during the school year.
- Other assignments, as requested.
Knowledge, Education and Experience
- High School Diploma with some college.
- Must have experience working with young children in a structured youth program or middle school, preferably in a racially, ethically, and socio-emotionally diverse urban community.
- Possess and ability to engage and lead children in small group activities in your area of specialty
- Strong communication skills, strong organizational skills, excellent judgment and ability to work in a team in a variety of environments.
- Willingness and flexibility to work on occasional evenings and weekends if necessary
- Candidates with skills in foreign languages, visual arts, music, or performing arts are strongly encouraged to apply.
- First Aid/CPR certification preferred.
How to Apply
Submit cover letter and resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, to the attention of Stachee Matthew. Please indicate “Group Leader” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please detail your area of program expertise (e.g., Spanish Language, instructional singing, arts and crafts, etc.) and your experience working with youth.