Turning Point is hiring a part-time ABE/HSE teacher for a class that meets evenings (6 pm-9 pm) 2 times per week for a total of 10 work hours that includes (class + prep time) each week. This teacher must be comfortable teaching, reading, writing, social studies, and science skills, as well as addressing specific content that will be on the TASC test.
Teachers are responsible for a class of 20-25 students at the Education Center and must be comfortable with learner-centered, participatory lessons and a project-based approach. While the Education Center has an overall set of class standards, teachers are responsible for creating her/his own curriculum and lesson plans. Teachers work closely with counselors and administrative staff to provide 360 degree service to students. Teachers are expected to attend staff meetings and trainings as needed.
Turning Point’s Education Center is a community-based program in Sunset Park (Brooklyn) offering free ABE, HSE, and ESOL classes, as well as support services. Our qualified staff is committed to creating an holistic learning community where students develop the skills to reach their goals. Peer support, student-centered learning, and critical thinking are central to the program. Our basic literacy and HSE programs primarily serve out-of-school youth, and our program embraces youth culture and youth development strategies. All classes are college-bound and career-bound.
Essential Job Functions
The following duties are mandatory requirements of the job:
- Provide high quality instruction in HSE ELA subject areas in a learner-centered classroom.
- Develop meaningful curricula and stimulating lesson plans based on student needs.
- Participate in case conferences and counseling with individual students as needed.
- Conduct mid-term and end-of-term conferences to assess and share progress with students.
- Administer placement tests, post-tests, and other necessary assessments.
- Guide students in setting goals and developing realistic effective plans for achieving them.
- Attend and participate in staff meetings and staff development sessions.
- Maintain roll books and regular attendance of students
- Create opportunities for mentoring individual students; partner with counselors, administrators and other staff to develop strategies for providing support to individual students.
The following duties are to be performed as assigned by the supervisor:
- Keep abreast of trends and developments in the fields relevant to the work of the Education Center, represent its work at professional networks and meetings, and advance the work and reputation of the Education Center in the professional community, and city/state/nation-wide arenas.
- Foster student leadership in the classroom
- Integrate Education Center’s mission statement into curriculum and classroom
- Design / facilitate special events and student productions.
- Attend professional development workshops and trainings, both within and outside of Turning Point
- Collaborate with Education Center staff, Turning Point staff, and other agencies.
- Participate in Turning Point outreach and fundraising events as requested.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, and a minimum of 3 years teaching experience in a literacy program
In addition to the above-listed job responsibilities and education requirements, the ideal candidate for this position possesses most or all of the following:
- Ramp Up / CEPS experience and/or knowledge is a plus
- Ability to work in a team setting.
- Ability to work with youth and diverse populations.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Familiarity with, understanding of, and commitment to learner-centered philosophy.
- Understanding of different learning styles, and corresponding responsiveness in teaching style.
- Knowledge of whole language, authentic assessment, and writing process instruction.
- Commitment to developing innovative teaching methods
- Experience in providing instruction to at-potential 16-24 years old youth, particularly court-involved youth, a strong plus
- Microsoft Office skills, internet skills, and willingness to learn more computer skills as required
- Ability to adapt to evolving and changing agency
To apply send resume and cover letter to Joseph Zimmerman