The Office for New Americans is a New York State initiative established by Governor Cuomo in 2012 to assist newcomers in contributing to the state's economic and social fabric. Statewide, there are 26 ONA Opportunity Centers operating out of existing non-profits. Each center assists immigrants using a 4-pronged approach by providing (1) Naturalization and DACA Legal Assistance, (2) ESOL Classes, (3) Entrepreneurship Training, and (4) Community Workshops. OBT's ONA Opportunity Center sees a wide swath of immigrants from primarily Latin American and Caribbean nations.
Start Date for this position is July 1st.
- Manage the ONA Contract and ensure all mandated ONA outcomes for the above four areas are met or exceeded quarterly and annually;
- Hold client consultations on a regular basis and manage all necessary follow-up work including but not limited to: obtaining immigration records from DHS, court documents, criminal records, school records, public benefits statements, and medical exemption forms;
- Utilize and improve upon existing intake process and comprehensive case management system for all immigration legal services clients and follow up accordingly to ensure completion of USCIS applications and compliance with funder and state standards;
- Administer and accurately report data for all legal immigration services, entrepreneurial workshops, and community education seminars as mandated by the ONA contract;
- Coordinate with the Adult Education and Literacy Director/Coordinator and AELP program support staff to administer data for all ESOL programming funded through the ONA stream, including creating and administering retention and completion strategies for students;
- Develop marketing and promotion plans for recruitment, create resources for expanding ONA Opportunity Center activities and create program materials including those needed for outreach, intake and case management, and administration of program;
- Collaborate on the cultivation and development of strategic partnerships within the community to enhance the resources of the ONA Opportunity Center;
- Supervise certain adult program staff (ONA Program Associate, Latino Youth Achievement Initiative Coordinator, BWRC Office Manager) and program interns/volunteers;
- Prepare any monthly, quarterly, and annual reports for programs and funders as needed;
- Act as liaison with ONA analyst and ONA staff within the state office;
- Participate in local coalitions for immigration issues and stay informed of relevant happenings in immigration law and policy on a local and national level;
- Sign off as Preparer and Interpreter (as needed) on USCIS applications and, when necessary, submit a G-28 Notice of Appearance with relevant cases;
- Supervise all legal immigration work at the center as BIA Representative in collaboration with ONA legal counsel;
- Keep OBT staff informed of important immigration information and news relevant to participants, including creating strategies for proper internal referrals and program best practices;
- Assist OBT development team in seeking out and applying for funding opportunities with the aim of expanding the immigrant services initiative at OBT;
- Assist with the overall coordination of ONA and general Adult Services activities and site maintenance at the Bushwick Workforce Resource Center;
- Perform all other appropriate duties assigned by supervisor.
Qualifications: Spanish verbal and written proficiency required; Bachelor's Degree required; must be or become BIA accredited (partial or full) or have a JD with one year of immigration practice; experience providing Naturalization and DACA services, familiarity with NYC public services and systems, ability to supervise and quality check program staff, experience working with education and employment programs; public funding management and outcomes reporting; management and supervision of staff; high degree of discretion dealing with confidential information and cultural sensitivity; knowledge of Salesforce, BEST Plus, and TABE a plus.
Send resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to ONAManager@obtjobs.org