Youth and Adult Education Services (YAES) is a program in the Department of Adult Education & Workforce Development at East Side House Settlement (ESH). YAES offers comprehensive High School Equivalency (HSE) preparation and TASC testing (formerly GED) to residents of the South Bronx. Students aged 16-24 years old receive instruction in reading, writing, math and science skills as well as College Access and Success services. Students also receive comprehensive social supports as well as Job Readiness, Financial Literacy, and Social/Emotional Skills.
The College Access & Retention program is also a key component of YAES. This program promotes and facilitates transition of all ESH High School/HSE students to College and provides extensive retention support to ensure their success. The Assistant Director is responsible for overseeing the inter-disciplinary staff team while they provide comprehensive educational and social supports to all YAES participants.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Department Director of Education and Workforce Development the Assistant Director’s duties include but not limited to the following:
- Manage and supervise the HSE program towards meeting established Federal guidelines and standards, funder requirements and contractual obligations.
- Conduct individual and group staff supervision on a weekly basis.
- Develop and control budget for program services.
- Submit reports to multiple agency and funding sources.
- Represent the agency by attending meetings and workshops.
- Ensure that staffing requirements are met, such as submission of evaluation and classroom reports by teachers.
- Oversee the creation of innovative and contextualized student learning experiences.
- Facilitate weekly staff meetings that review student progress, program implementation and service delivery.
- Facilitate monthly meetings to review core data and other indicators of student progress.
- Ensuring the implementation of youth development principles in all YAES programming.
- Perform additional program support functions as required.
- Oversee the planning, implementation and documentation of a departmental “Professional Development Plans”.
- Maintain a “Professional Development Log” to document trainings and technical assistance.
- Submit curricula and other professional materials to government and private funders as required.
- Facilitate weekly and monthly YAES staff meetings to review Federal core data and standards and student outcomes as a means to assessing program quality and to modifying/developing program instruction and service design as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college with 4 years of experience in a not-for-profit community based setting.
- Minimum three years management experience or Masters Degree in Education with two years management experience.
- Knowledge and commitment to youth development principles.
- Knowledge of adult literacy practices and GED/HSE transition issues.
- Strong presentation skills; ability to represent the organization in various venues.
- Demonstrated knowledge of community service/development.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret documents and information.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
Please submit resumes to Department Director Caitlin Dooley at firstname.lastname@example.org.