Cypress Hills Local Development Corporation has an opening for five Part Time ESOL Instructors in the Potencia NOW Program in the Career and Education Programs Division. This position is paid on an hourly basis.
- Customize instructional materials by building on own training and experience to create high quality lesson plans to instruct adults in English as a Second Language, using an integrated and relevant, student-driven curriculum.
- Personally assess each student's level of ability to ensure appropriate placement.
- Prepare and distribute instructional materials for classroom/homework use.
- Manage the classroom effectively to maximize student learning.
- Attend monthly staff meetings and work collaboratively with the staff concerning curriculum development.
- Communicate with program director/site coordinator regarding apparent barriers to student success (e.g., child daycare needs, possible health/housing issues, etc.).
- Maintain daily student attendance records.
- Prepare reports on students’ attendance and progress, as required.
- Maintain and update students' learning portfolios.
- Coordinate with program director regarding next steps in student's progress toward their goals.
- Participate in initial staff training and at least 15 hours of additional training each program year.
- Demonstrates commitment to leadership development, community building, and community organizing as strategies for social change
- Provide all required information for weekly/monthly/quarterly/annual reports.
- Bachelor's degree (B.A.) required. TESOL, English certificate preferred.
- BEST Plus certification preferred.
- Three years experience serving adult learners, teaching ESL / ESOL.
- Experience in working with immigrant communities.
- Appropriate reading, writing, listening and speaking skills in English.
- Ability to provide services in a manner sensitive to the backgrounds and cultures of program participants.
- Bilingual Spanish required.
Salary: $27.50 - $29.00 per hour.
Schedule: Monday – Thursday, 6.00 pm – 9:00 pm
To Apply: Please forward cover letter, resume, and three references to Nicole Sanchez, Director of Curriculum and Instruction at firstname.lastname@example.org. Three (3) written and signed reference letters will be required if chosen for the position.