Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Provide contextualized, content-based English language instruction at beginning, intermediate and/or advanced levels. Provide authentic language tasks, interactive activities, and opportunities to practice speaking and writing for fluency.
- Design and implement engaging lesson plans that incorporate best practices in TESOL and adult education and assist students in meeting the curriculum standards for appropriate NRS level through a variety of instructional methods adapted to diverse learning styles.
- Incorporate civic engagement into ESOL classroom instruction.
- Design and administer student assessment tools that gauge student learning and monitor achievement of performance outcomes.
- Create a welcoming environment that fosters community and learning among program participants.
- Submit bi-weekly unit plans that address material to be covered in class.
- Assist with registration and pre- and post-testing as needed (training will be provided if not certified to administer BEST Plus).
- Attend staff development activities and monthly program meetings.
- Assist with reporting requirements as needed, including student goal-setting and outcome assessment.
Statement of Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree and 2+ years relevant teaching experience (Master’s in TESOL and/or Education preferred)
- Ability to modify/adapt existing lesson plans and curricula to fit program needs, and/or create original lesson plans
- Thorough, detailed knowledge and understanding of English grammar with the ability to clearly explain all verbs, tenses and parts of speech.
- Ability to interact with diverse ethnic populations and empathize with people unfamiliar with local culture.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with team.
- Advanced computer literacy and proficiency in Microsoft XP.
- Ethical and professional conduct that facilitates the building of a respectful, trusting and collaborative relationship with program staff and students.
Send resume and 3 references to Driftnery Martinez, Director of Immigrant Services, at email@example.com. Please type “Your Name – ESOL Instructor” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and qualified candidates will be contacted by phone to schedule an interview.