About Literacy Partners
Our mission is to strengthen families by empowering parents through education. With our free classes, low-income parents gain the skills to create a better life for themselves while transferring important literacy skills to their children. Together, we can close the achievement gap before children even begin school. Learn more at www.literacypartners.org.
- Teach a Spanish literacy class three mornings per week;
- Design a curriculum and lesson plans based on the mothers’ strengths and goals;
- Reflect, track and report on students’ progress;
- Participate in Literacy Partners meetings (check-ins with supervisor, all-staff meetings, professional development opportunities, etc.); and
- Coordinate with partners at FJC.
- Experience teaching Spanish literacy in a BENL program;
- Curriculum development experience;
- Ability to build strong rapport with students;
- Hands-on experience teaching survivors of domestic violence highly preferred;
- Bachelor’s degree a must. An advanced degree in a relevant field (such as social work or adult education) is highly preferred; and
- A passion for social justice.
Compensation and Schedule
Classes operate from the fall through June, three mornings per week (Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays). The BENL instructor will earn $35/hour for 12-15 hours per week (9 hours of classes plus time for lesson planning, meeting with partners and supervisor, professional development, etc.). The class is delivered in the South Bronx, near Yankee Stadium.
Email a résumé, cover letter and sample lesson plan that is relevant to this population to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, please describe your approach to developing a relevant curriculum in terms of learning objectives and key milestones. Interested instructors should apply promptly, as this position will be filled soon. No calls, please.
Literacy Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer.