Unit: Education Services
Reports to: Operations Director
Status: Full Time; Regular; Exempt
Job Code: E219
Location: Long Island City
Days/Hours: Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, subject to change depending on program needs
Date Prepared: January 26, 2016
Position Summary: Responsible for teaching and coordinating classes in Fortune Society’s Pre - High School Equivalency (Pre - HSE) class- Young Adult Literacy Program (YALP), implementing a participatory, project based approach to teaching reading, writing, and math skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach reading, writing, and math classes from basic literacy through Pre-HSE;
- Conduct intake orientations/interviews for new students and help place them in classes;
- Conduct ongoing assessment of student progress, including standardized tests and alternative assessment;
- Maintain regular communication with students’ counselors in other Fortune departments;
- Develop curriculum, assessment, and tutor training materials;
- Enter electronic attendance data, maintain student attendance logs, progress and test folders;
- Contribute data to internal and external reports on the development and progress of Fortune’s educational program;
- Contribute to the development and expansion of the education program;
- Participate in staff meetings and other staff development activities;
- Assist in planning special events; and
- Perform other duties as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree required;
- Familiarity with Adult Basic Education and/or Pre-HSE;
- Proficiency in computer applications, such as MS Word and Excel;
- Familiarity with models of popular literacy education;
- Experience with students involved in the criminal justice system;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to engage and motivate students and volunteers;
- Commitment to developing innovative teaching methods; and
- Strong organizational skills.
The Fortune Society encourages individuals to apply who have successfully made the transition from incarceration and/or substance abuse into a stable, productive lifestyle in the community.
Travel Requirements: May require travel to our Harlem location.
Physical Demands: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The responsibilities and requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, minimum education, training, licensing, experience and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
If interested, contact Elizabeth Vega firstname.lastname@example.org
The Fortune Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of conviction history, race, religion/creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victim of domestic violence status or marital status.