Location: Kingsborough Community College
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
The CUNY Language Immersion Program (CLIP) at Kingsborough Community College of the City University of New York is an intensive English as a Second Language (ESL) program for CUNY students who need to improve their academic English language skills. Students who have been accepted to any CUNY college can spend up to one year in the program. CLIP is offered on 9 CUNY campuses. Classes meet for five hours a day, five days a week, in a day or evening sessions. The Program serves 120 students per semester.
The CLIP Department at Kingsborough Community College seeks applications for an Academic Advisor, reporting to the Director, the successful candidate will perform the following:
- Provide academic and college success advise, general guidance, coaching, mentoring and career exploration support
- Monitors, evaluates, documents, and reports on students' academic participation and progress; ensures compliance with CLIP program guidelines, and coordinates records and files
- Advocates for students, intervene with appropriate program support services and referrals to campus learning resources and/or University student development services
- Checks-in regularly with the Program Director, Academic Advisor and Administrative Staff
- Participates in campus and University meetings and training activities as needed
- Participates in executing the programs daily operations and logistics
- Helps support CLIP staff on student orientation days
- Assists in recruiting and screening new CLIP applicants as needed
- Refers students to campus resources as appropriate
Bachelor's Degree preferred.
The following qualifications are also preferred:
- Experience working with diverse populations
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills
- Proactive and detail orientated with strong organizational skills
- Ability to work effectively as an individual contributor and team member
- Computer proficiency using standard academic, administrative and office software programs/applications, such as Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of CUNYFirst, Google docs
Provides academic counseling and planning services to a diverse student population.
- Assists students with clarifying goals; counsels students regarding educational options, requirements, policies and procedures.
- Offers academic and personal support to guide students through the course selection process
- Provides students with effective and timely referral to other college and external support services
- Monitors and evaluates students' educational progress by conducting academic progress audits
- Establishes and maintains student files, databases and records; prepares activity reports and analyses
- May specialize in providing advice on specific programs or to specific student groups
- Performs related duties as assigned.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary: $35-40/hour based on education and experience
Assistant Director, Academic/ESL Programs
Office of Continuing Education
Kingsborough Community College
The City University of New York
2001 Oriental Boulevard,
Brooklyn NY 11235
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.