MRNY’s NYC based Adult Education team is seeking a highly motivated, compassionate and skilled math instructor to join our Bridge to Health Careers class team. The math instructor will work 10 hrs/ week. The position will be based out of our Bushwick, Brooklyn location with some remote work.
(4.5 of the 10 hours will be instructional- classes take place on Fridays, & the rest will be for class prep, meetings, and student communication.)
Make the Road New York (MRNY) builds the power of Latino and working-class communities to achieve dignity and justice through organizing, policy innovation, transformative education, and survival services. Make the Road New York operates neighborhood-based community centers in Bushwick, Brooklyn; Jackson Heights, Queens; Port Richmond, Staten Island; and Brentwood, Long Island. With a membership of over 24,000 low-income New Yorkers, MRNY tackles the critical issues facing our community: workplace justice, tenants’ rights, immigrant civil rights, language-access, LGBTQ justice, public education, health care access, and immigration reform.
Make the Road New York https://maketheroadny.org/ is a multi-service organization. Our Education Department offers English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), citizenship preparation, health job training classes and in-school and after-school youth programs. Our Community Organizing Projects help New Yorkers to implement strategies to combat shared problems and develop leadership and the capacity for civic participation. And our Departments of Legal, Health & Support Services provides direct legal representation, case management, and facilitated enrollment into public health insurance programs, training, and strategic support for members and organizing campaigns. Our attorneys and advocates specialize in labor and employment law, public benefits, disability benefits, housing law, healthcare and health insurance access, immigration, public education, domestic violence, and LGBTQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer) civil rights issues.
All candidates must be fully vaccinated for COVID.
*In addition to 4.5 hours of class time, the math instructor will be paid 5.5 hours of prep and meeting time for meetings with colleagues and students.
Class Schedules/length of job:
Classes will begin 9/12. The instructor will be asked to start in later August. The classes will run until the end of June 2023 and summer work time will be available after that if/as the instructor is interested.
Instructor responsibilities include:
- Curricular design work- Hand in course outlines, unit and lesson plans and related materials in the requested format by the deadlines that are set and agreed to. Maintain all of that in the Google drive, and integrate certain thematic content and materials into lessons as required by funders or decided by the team
- Student Assessment- combine TABE initial assessments with original math assessments at the beginning of the cycle and continue to assess students in an intentional and structured way throughout the cycle
- Instruction- Deliver content material in ways that take into account students’ levels and learning styles, the need to pace and scaffold information
- Communication with and support of students - Call absent students who missed your class and document calls; make referrals to MRNY’s case manager as needed
- Related admin/grant related tasks- in addition to tracking attendance, grading of samples of students’ work, and writing monthly progress notes for a portion of students in the class, as funders require
- Participate in meetings and trainings- attend external professional development according to funders’ requirements, as well as 1 on 1 support meetings, team and staff meetings
- Eligible to work in the US
- Full vaccination with an FDA approved COVID-19 vaccine prior to first day of employment
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Teaching Certification or Masters in math
- Strong communication skills
- Enough Spanish to communicate with students outside of class if not occasionally within class
- Very strong facility with most or all of these: GSuite, Microsoft Office, Zoom
- Commitment to thematic instruction and learner-centered, participatory education
- Meeting time (for meetings with the co-teacher or check ins with students.)
- At least 3 yrs. ABE/HSE math teaching experience, preferably teaching adults.
- Interest in collaboration and professional development with team members
- Creativity and dedication
- Excellent communication skills
- Comfort integrating digital literacy tools and activities into classes
- Experience working in immigrant services and/or community-based social justice organizations
- Experience developing original thematic, engaging curricular materials
- A sense of humor.
Salary & Benefits
Starting salary is based on a scale set by a democratically elected personnel committee and will depend on factors such as experience and education. MRNY offers an excellent benefit package including access to health insurance, & 401K to staff with over 20 hrs a week, and generous paid vacation, sick, personal days and paid holidays. The salary range for this position would be between $45,099 -$61,859 if the position were FT and the hourly rate is between $25-30/hr depending on experience.
Please note, MRNY staff are currently working both remotely and in-person through 2022, though these classes will be delivered in person. The position will be based at our Brooklyn office and will continue to require a mix of remote non instructional work and in person instructional and assessment related work in 2023. Hybrid work schedules for the position which identify when work will be based in the office and when outside of the office will be created and then adjusted when needed in consultation with the supervisor of the person we hire.
Click here to learn how to apply.