ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Effectively teach reading comprehension, standard English grammar, essay writing, math and test-taking skills to adult basic education students;
- Responsible for creating curriculum and lesson plans;
- Create engaging instructional strategies and lesson plans, integrating technology;
- Provide instruction in math and /or literacy, including group instruction and one-on-one tutoring;
- Evaluate student progress using standardized assessment tools and in-class quizzes;
- Adapt teaching style and strategies to maximize student learning and retention;
- Meet with Program Director / Program Coordinator on a regular basis to discuss progress of participants;
- Maintain students portfolio;
- Refer participants internally for support services as needed and follow-up to ensure services are being offered;
- Complete other related assignments as directed by Program Director and program administrators.
- Two years teaching experience preferred;
- Experience with curriculum development and lesson planning;
- Must be comfortable with learner-centered, participatory lessons and a project-based approach;
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Must be able to create an engaging and welcoming learning environment;
- Willing to go above and beyond program mandates for the benefit of the students;
- Ability to understand the concepts of institutional and structural racism and bias and their impact on underserved and underrepresented communities;
- Have a demonstrated commitment to supporting communities who have experienced systemic oppression and bias (e.g. people of color, LGBTQ+ people, immigrants, justice involved persons, etc.).
Must possess a Bachelors degree in Education or related field; license to teach with the NYC Department of Education preferred.
The position pays $38/hr.
Apply through this link:
EEO/Affirmative Action Policy Statement
It is the policy of RiseBoro to provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment. No individual will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, age, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, political or union affiliation, marital or partnership status, sex, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity, familial status, genetic information or predisposition or characteristic, disability, status as a victim of domestic violence, status as a veteran or member of the U.S. military and related obligations, or any other characteristic protected by law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to, recruitment, hiring, job placement, compensation, benefits, training and apprenticeship, employee development, promotion, demotion, discipline, transfer, lay-off and recall, and termination. RiseBoro makes reasonable accommodations based on religion and/or disability as required by law, and requests for accommodation are to be directed to the Human Resources Department.