Department Overview: Commonpoint Queens (Samuel Field YM&YWHA) Opportunity Youth Programs is comprised of employment and support programs serving individuals predominantly adults 18 and over and opportunity youth ages 16-24. The department provides access to occupational training, education, resources, and support programs for individuals who are motivated to enter the workforce.
Position Details: Commonpoint Queens is seeking to hire an HSE Instructor for the Advance & Earn Program. The goal of the Advance & Earn Program is to provide a career pathway for opportunity youth through a continuum of services including literacy and math instruction, HSE test preparation, work readiness training, college and career exploration, paid work experience, advanced occupational training and industry credential attainment. The program supports opportunity youth at any educational level, providing on-ramps at various levels through three program components, each supported by case management and wrap-around services. Under the supervision of the Director of Education, the HSE Instructor will provide contextualized instruction in literacy and math to an opportunity youth population.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The HSE Instructor will:
- Develop lesson plans and adjust instruction according to the various learning styles of program participants. Maintain a collaborative learning environment.
- Facilitate instruction in all assigned subject areas of the TASC exam (Reading, Writing, Math, Social Studies, and Science).
- Plan, prepare and instruct lessons in accordance with the curriculum and using a variety of methodologies with the purpose of building TASC content knowledge and skills.
- Attend instructional workshops that discuss all subtests of the TASC exam.
- Create engaging lessons in HSE that develop student critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Continually assess student progress toward mastery of standards and keep students and staff well informed of student progress by collecting and tracking data, providing daily feedback and weekly assessments.
- Provide necessary accommodations and modifications for growth and success of all students.
- Attend instructional workshops and learning communities that will discuss all subtests and curriculum development for the TASC exam.
- Administer and utilize standardized assessments to develop curricula targeting the educational challenges of the students.
- Monitor students’ performance and attendance for required reporting systems.
- Lead engagement and follow-up efforts to ensure participants’ progress towards positive outcomes.
- Implement strategies to maximize student learning and retention.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND REQUIRED COMPETENCIES
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education or comparable field required. Master’s Degree in Education preferred.
- Minimum of three years of experience teaching young adult learners of varied ages, levels, and diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Knowledge of ABE and HSE curricula, testing procedures and requirements.
- Demonstrated ability in youth development
- Schedule: Monday-Friday 9am-5pm, In person
- Location: Bronx
- Salary: $50,000