Adult Basic Education Instructor
About Harlem Commonwealth Council:
Harlem Commonwealth Council, Inc. (HCC) is a not-for-profit 501(c) (3) local development organization dedicated to broad-based economic improvements to Upper Manhattan and the Bronx, as well as to their vibrant multi-cultural communities. Since 1967, Harlem Commonwealth Council has served the greater Harlem community by implementing a number of successful ventures and programs that promote self-sufficiency and create stability through economic development projects, academic empowerment and entrepreneurial support. Located in the heart of Harlem, HCC has a history of responding to the community’s needs. Initially, the organization’s Economic Development focus was real estate development. Currently, HCC’s Economic Development strategy includes helping launch and build businesses and assisting less skilled Upper Manhattan residents become economically independent through training and education.
An HCC ABE teacher is responsible for the implementation of basic education instruction to adult students. Under minimum supervision, the individual will conduct instruction as specified in HCC's adult basic education program curriculum guide. With the assistance of the director, plans a program of study that meets the individual needs, interests, and abilities of the adult student.
- Maintains a classroom environment that is conducive to learning.
- Uses a variety of instructional methods and techniques.
- Meets and instructs classes as designated.
- Prepares for all classes assigned.
- Determines the correct entry level of students.
- Evaluates student progress regularly with the intent of improving student performance in accordance with HCC and funding guidelines
- Maintains accurate, complete, and up-to-date records.
- Promotes and regularly monitors class attendance in accordance with HCC policy and funders expectations.
- Intervenes as appropriate with students to discuss and promote class attendance and performance
- Bachelor's degree required or five years of teaching adult education.
- Knowledge of adult student characteristics.
- Knowledge of adult basic education content areas.
- Teaching ability in ABE content areas.
- Sensitivity to and experience working with diverse populations, and experience working with students of varying skill levels.
- Ability to organize data to produce student reports.
- Ability to make decisions concerning student instruction
$32/ hour; 9 a.m. – 12 p.m., Monday -Thursday
Applications should be sent to email@example.com with Part-time ABE Instructor as the subject