Brooklyn Public Library Adult Learning seeks a Digital Literacy (IC3) Instructor to facilitate the technology learning component of BPL’s Integrated English Literacy & Civics Education (IELCE) program. This instructor will support English Language Learners completing a Digital Literacy (IC3) certification, thereby becoming more effective users of technology while improving English language proficiency. The Digital Literacy (IC3) classes meet in-person at one of the Brooklyn Public Library locations.
The Digital Literacy Instructor will teach the essential technology knowledge and vocabulary, and coach participants as they progress through the online Digital Literacy (IC3) curriculum (www.certiport.com/IC3) designed to prepare program participants to gain the technology skills to bolster achievement of their educational and career goals, and enhance clarity of the technology they engage with in daily life. Upon completion of each 8-week class cycle IC3 certification exams are conducted in person at the BPL Business and Career Center at the Central Library.
A key member of the IELCE program, the Digital Literacy (IC3) Instructor prepares participants for today’s workplace in the areas of computing fundamentals, online networks, and productivity applications.
- Teach interactive digital literacy classes to a diverse group of English Language Learners in computer fundamentals – hardware, software, the Internet, productivity applications, communication, and collaboration online, basic troubleshooting, the impact of the Internet on society
- Develop quality, differentiated lessons for learners progressing through the IC3 certification (https://certiport.pearsonvue.com/Certifications/IC3/Digital-Literacy-Certification/Overview) online curriculum, including basic through advanced digital tools and software programs; motivate and encourage participants to become digital literate
- Coach and encourage individual participants to reinforce skills by completing practice labs in online portal
- Provide foundational and supplemental support for participants’ conceptual knowledge of technology terminology and vocabulary
- Prepare participants for (IC3) certification tests
- Collaborate with BPL’s IELCE (ESOL) teachers to facilitate instructional alignment
- Participate in professional development initiatives
- Bachelor’s degree in education, technology, or related field
- Excellent communications skills, both written and oral
- Excellent organizational skills; must be able to manage multiple tasks and priorities
- Ability to collaborate with diverse learners, including ability to provide differentiated, interactive instruction for digital skills for limited English language proficiency
- 2+ years’ experience teaching interactive digital literacy skills to classes and small groups of students encompassing the following domains of technology learning:
- Computing fundamentals (hardware & software; operating systems, peripherals, troubleshooting)
- Key applications for productivity (word processing, spreadsheets, communicating with presentations, databases)
- Living Online (networks, the Internet, communication & collaboration online, the impact of the Internet on society
- Excellent technology proficiency in the following areas:
- Microsoft Windows, Mac OS, and Google Workspace
- MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- iOS and Android smartphones and tablets
- Identifying and troubleshooting hardware and software problems
- Knowledge of (IC3) Digital Literacy suite of products, a plus
- Completion of IC3 certification required within the first semester of as Digital Literacy Instructor at BPL (8 weeks)
The Digital Literacy (IC3) Instructor is a contract position. Salary rate: $35 per instructional hour, plus one hour preparation per class, per week.
Classes meet in person at the Central Library and the New Lots Library on the following days:
Wednesdays 6:00 – 8:00 PM
Fridays 10:00 AM-12:00 noon
Saturdays 10:00 AM-12:00 noon
Candidates considered for this position may teach one or all sessions listed above onsite at the Brooklyn Public Library.
Email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org (Subject: Digital Literacy IC3 instructor)