PART-TIME JOB DESCRIPTION
Position Title: P/T Learning Support Specialist Rate of Pay per Hour: $18.00
Reports To: Adult Learning Division’s Manager
Location: Jackson Heights
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Last Updated: February 14, 2023
The Part-Time Learning Support Specialist (LSS) works in Adult Learning divisions (Adult Learner Program, Young Adult Literacy Services, New Americans Program, Job & Business Academy and Digital Literacy) to provide direct public service to program participants and administrative support to programs. This position is responsible for delivering excellent customer service, assisting in classes to promote student learning and success as well as performing routine administrative and clerical duties. The Part-Time Learning Support Specialist supports the Library’s mission, values and overall strategic plan. This position provides input to improve the customer experience as well as staff procedures and workflows. Performs other duties as required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
General Office and Administrative Support (50%)
- Provides reception and administrative support to the ALP Divisions
- Daily Operations:
- Center organization (follow policies and procedures)
- Ensure book/display cases are in order
- Front Desk and Computer Lab Coverage
- Virtua (Basic Book / Patron Search)
- General office and administrative tasks including but not limited to, answering phones, filing, scanning and faxing, preparing materials for mailings, distributes incoming mail
- Manages office supplies including surveying the supply storage areas to ascertain what is needed and submits orders on a regular basis.
- Creates and maintains student folders (assists with student file management for all classes)
- Maintains program files and records
- Reviews staff & volunteer timesheets for accuracy prior to supervisor’s approval.
- Follows-up with instructional staff about professional development requirements, submitting their monthly reports, lesson plans, and quarterly lesson overviews
- Gather information for reports, enter data, and compiles reports. Submits reports based on established deadlines.
- Ensures that assigned clerical projects are carried out and completed in a timely manner.
- Shelves library materials and performs other tasks to keep the collections in order.
Classroom Assistance (20%)
- Provides teachers with administrative support (prepares photocopies, sets up classroom)
- Assists with Lesson Planning, administering assessment tests, and conducting orientations
- Facilitates groups in teacher's absence and/or as needed and provides student mentoring
- Supports teachers in using appropriate tools to measure the outcomes of student learning
- Assists in training of volunteer tutors and provides feedback to tutors (lesson topics, etc.)
- Assists teachers in technology training workshops and digital learning tools
Database Management (ASISTS and other tools) (15%)
- Enters and updates student records
- Monitors and tracks student attendance and test scores; follows-up with absences, lateness, incomplete documents, and reminders, etc.
- Conducts student follow-ups
Participant Intake and Support (15%)
- Supports outreach to internal and external partners to promote services and recruit participants
- Administers assessment tests (TABE and BEST Plus)
- Assists with HSE Screenings and maintains screening spreadsheet
- Assists staff in preparing information session materials, room and event setup
- Assists in the student intake, directs students through the registration process
- Provides support with registration and processes (utilizes ASISTS, and other tools)
Varied schedule that includes evenings and Saturdays with a maximum of 17 hours per week.
- Adult Learning divisions
- Community Library Services (CLS)
- Central Library (CEL)
- Programs & Services Department (PSD)
- External: Cultural, Educational, and Community Organizations.
The Part-Time Learning Support Specialist must consistently demonstrate the following competencies when performing the above responsibilities, including but not limited to: initiative, flexibility in approaching daily responsibilities, cooperative teamwork, and impacting and influencing services provided in Queens Library communities.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE/QUALIFICATIONS
- High School Diploma or High School Equivalency required. College Degree preferred.
- Highly proficient in Google Suite and Microsoft Office
- Must have a minimum of one (1) year of customer service and/or retail-oriented experience
- Ability to provide instruction for a variety of software applications including, but not limited to, Microsoft Office (primarily Word, Excel, PowerPoint), internet and email
- Excellent presentation skills, detail oriented, flexible and a self-starter
- Good organization and administrative skills including experience with tracking program attendance and preparing reports
- Must have the ability to work with a diverse population and effectively provide customer service to a large number of customers simultaneously
- Must possess excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Must work successfully in a team environment, good networking skills
- Demonstrated enthusiasm for public service
- Experience in Data entry and/or using ASISTS - Adult Student Information System & Technology Support
- Administrative and/or general office experience
- Fluency in a second language
- Public Library experience and/or Adult Education experience
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Required to utilize a computer to enter and retrieve information; and to communicate with other staff members as well as with external customers. Use of telephone, copier, fax and desktop computer and other office equipment. Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. May use a computer/video display terminal for up to 8 hours per day.
How to Apply: Please submit your resumes and cover letters to Jennifer.firstname.lastname@example.org and Diana.email@example.com
Please put on subject matter: P/T Learning Support Specialist- QPL-JH-ALC