Founded in 2004 and based in NYC public schools, ParentJobNet, Inc., a 501(c)(3) organization is an economic empowerment nonprofit for parents of public school children in underprivileged communities in New York City. We work in public schools to provide low-income parents, especially mothers, with specific educational and economic resources needed to become more engaged in their children's education; to assist them to build financial security through training, wage and job growth in order to provide their children a better start in life.
The mission of ParentJobNet is to help educate, prepare, and connect low-to-moderate-income public school parents with job opportunities and other economic resources to empower them to build financial security and peace of mind to help their children succeed academically.
We are looking for an energetic, adaptable person who will work cooperatively with other PJN staff members to provide the best possible outcomes for our students.
Four-week pilot July-August 2016. Year-long position starts September 2016 and ends June 2017
ParentJobNet is an equal-opportunity employer.
- Teach literacy level English to speakers of other languages, four days a week for three hours each class (Pilot: Mon-Thurs 8:30-11:30 am)
- Emphasize skills that will help students find jobs, such as learning English words and common phrases used in the workplace
- Monitor student attendance, progress, and competency attainment. Maintain thorough student records. Generate student progress reports
- Assist with statistical data collection via client testimonial documentation and follow-up
- Work with PJN staff to refine curriculum and select textbooks
- Assess and test for placement into ESL level 1 or other level
- Assess students for possible learning disabilities
- Connect to PJN career and/or services counselor(s) to provide appropriate needs and services referrals
- Assist clients with resume readiness preparation through classroom instruction and one-on-one.
- Fluency in Spanish or Arabic a plus
- Experience working with learning-disabled students a plus
$55 per teaching hour
How to Apply
Please send cover letter, resume and included contact information for two references by 12:00 Noon July 14 to firstname.lastname@example.org with the words “ESOL Literacy Teacher” in the subject line. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please.