Location: Kingsborough Community College
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
The Academic and ESL Program Office at Kingsborough Community College of the City University of New York administers numerous tuition-based and grant funded programs, including intensive English as a Second Language (ESL) program for CUNY students who need to improve their academic English language skills; High School Equivalency preparation programs; ESL/Food Handlers certification and training program; Venture V for SNAP Participants employment program.
The Academic and ESL Program Office at Kingsborough Community College seeks applications for a College Assistant, reporting to the Director; the successful candidate will perform the following:
- Provides knowledgeable answers to inquiries about programs and schedules, registration and payment processes; may assist students with registration and payment, as necessary
- Contacts students and prospective students to facilitate registration
- Contributes to the development of program materials including publicity, flyers, electronic forms and online program content
- Assists with social media efforts, including analyzing and updating content
- Monitors, evaluates, documents, and reports on students' attendance, academic participation and progress; ensures compliance with program guidelines, and coordinates records and files
- Recommends appropriate program support services and referrals to campus learning resources and/or University student development services
- Checks-in regularly with the Program Director and Administrative Staff
- Participates in departmental meetings and training activities as needed
- Participates in executing the programs daily operations and logistics
- Helps provide support on student orientation days
- Assists in recruiting and screening new program applicants
- Establishes and maintains student files, databases and records; prepares activity reports and analyses
- Performs related duties as assigned
Bachelor's Degree preferred.
The following qualifications are also preferred:
- Experience working with diverse populations
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills
- Proactive and detail orientated with strong organizational skills
- Ability to work effectively as an individual contributor and team member
- Computer proficiency using standard academic, administrative and office software programs/applications, such as Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of CUNYFirst, Google docs
- Availability to work evening and weekend hours when required
- Under supervision, performs miscellaneous clerical, administrative, research or other work related to the operation of a College or other unit where such work is required on a part-time basis or for a period of limited duration.
- There is one Assignment Level for this position. All personnel perform related work. This specification describes typical assignments; related duties may be assigned as needed.
- Maximum tenure for any employee in this hourly position is 1040 hours per year.
- Performs routine clerical work; may answer and attend to telephone calls, maintain records, operate office machines (such as copier), sort and distribute mail, issue keys and identity cards, act as messenger, and perform related tasks as required.
- Types letters, memoranda, charts, and similar materials.
- Acts as cashier.
- Assists in statistical or research activities. May collect and compile data, code data for computer entry, perform data entry, and run computer reports.
- Performs clerical library work, such as sorting and shelving books, performing data entry into library systems, or binding books and periodicals.
- Assists in instructional programs, including tutoring and assisting students in areas such as reading and mathematics. May assist in speech and hearing therapy, provide musical accompaniment, and/or distribute and collect physical education equipment.
- Enters and maintains departmental records such as inventory control records, rosters, directories, and schedules.
- May operate computers, computer software, and other electronic equipment in performing assigned tasks
Salary: $15.61-$18.00/hour based on education and experience
Assistant Director, Academic/ESL Programs
Office of Continuing Education
Kingsborough Community College
The City University of New York
2001 Oriental Boulevard,
Brooklyn NY 11235
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.