Job Posting Notice
Job ID: 497114
Business Title: Education Specialist
Civil Service Title: COMMUNITY COORDINATOR
Title Classification: Non-Competitive
Job Category: Constituent Services & Community Programs
Career Level: Experienced (non-manager)
Work Location: 123 William St New York N Y
Division/Work Unit: Adult Literacy
# of Positions: 1
Title Code No: 56058
Proposed Salary Range: $ 54,100.00 - $ 83,981.00 (Annual)
As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered city employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the hiring agency.
The New York City Department of Youth and Community Development (DYCD) supports youth and community services through contracts with a broad network of Community-Based Organizations (CBO) throughout New York City. Our central task is administering available city, state and federal funds to a wide range of innovative, practical and quality programs that positively impact youth and communities.
DYCD is the designated Community Action Agency for New York City, and administers federal Community Services Block Grant (CSBG) funded programs to assist low-income individuals and families to attain the skills, knowledge, motivation and opportunities they need to become self-sufficient and productive members of their communities. DYCD is seeking an Education Specialist to join the Staff Development and Validation, Community Action Programs Unit. The Education Specialist will ensure that the agency’s federally funded contracts for community-based organizations (CBOs) once registered are maintained in compliance with the terms of their contract. Under the supervision of the Director, with some latitude for independent judgement and initiative, the Education Specialist will be responsible for providing professional development training and coaching to CBO staff including related to use of curricula, testing materials, and classroom instructional methods.
The Education Specialist will work to help advance key DYCD initiatives and frameworks, and adherence to mandates, specifically to meet NYS Department of State’s and US Department of Health & Human Services compliance measures. The Educational Specialist would monitor and analyze the longitudinal performance of CBOs and apprise supervisory staff concerning performance and recommendations to improve it. Finally, the Education Specialist would assist the Director to demonstrate DYCD’s adherence to the 50 National Organizational Standards that relate to federal Results Oriented Management and Accountability (ROMA) practices and that these are in evidence among our CBOs. Key tasks include:
- Provide guidance in literacy programming for ABE/HSE programs serving adults and youth, enhancing education through projects, group interactions, use of technology, etc.
- Provide staff development and technical assistance (including model lessons and curricula, materials, and demonstrations as needed) to funded programs.
- Conduct in-person sites visits and classroom observations in order to identify best practices and to inform staff development planning.
- Keep abreast of latest research findings in adult education and provide technical support for staff and CBOs as well as coordinate trainings with the Planning Program Integration and Evaluation Unit.
- Deliver technical assistance to underperforming contractors and assist CBOs generally to identify resources, strengthen linkages and referrals, and refine practices.
- Conduct data analysis, share findings and write reports.
- Participate in and facilitating other Unit and Agency projects, as assigned.
- Participate in and contribute to Agency workgroups.
- Perform data analysis, prepare reports for dissemination and carry out special assignments, tasks and projects as assigned by the Director and Associate Commissioner.
- Maintain contact with, monitor and analyze longitudinal performance of providers and provide periodic reports.
- Perform site visits (may include weekends and evenings) tools and share feedback with CBO contract providers.
- Represent DYCD at public meetings, conferences, symposia and other forums.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and two years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties described above; or
- High school graduation or equivalent and six years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties as described above; or
- Education and/or experience which is equivalent to "1" or "2" above. However, all candidates must have at least one year of experience as described in "1" above.
- Strong communication, analytical and organizational skills
- Demonstrated background and expertise in adult education
- Experience with educational intervention programs to support youth and adults
- Must be proficient with computers, with skills in Microsoft Excel, Word, and Power Point.
- Must possess strong oral and written communication, organizational and analytical skills.
Search for the Job ID # 497114
External Candidates please go to www.nyc.gov/careers
Current NYC employees please go to www.nyc.gov/ess
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED VIA THE ONLINE PORTALS MENTIONED ABOVE.
SUBMISSION OF AN APPLICATION DOES NOT GUARANTEE AN INTERVIEW.
ONLY CANDIDATES UNDER CONSIDERATION WILL BE CONTACTED.
*If you do not have access to a personal computer, please visit your local library*
35 Hours Per Week (minimum)
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.
POSTING DATE: 10/28/2021
POST UNTIL: Until Filled
The City of New York is an Equal Opportunity Employer