Make the Road New York (MRNY) builds the power of Latino and working class communities to achieve dignity and justice through organizing, policy innovation, transformative education, and survival services. Make the Road New York operates neighborhood-based community centers in Bushwick, Brooklyn; Jackson Heights, Queens; Port Richmond, Staten Island; Brentwood, Long Island and White Plains in Westchester County. With a membership of 23,000+ low-income New Yorkers, MRNY tackles the critical issues facing our communities: workplace justice, tenants’ rights, immigrant civil rights, language-access, LGBTQ justice, public education, health care access, and immigration reform.
MRNY is a multi-service organization. Our Adult Literacy Department offers English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), computer literacy, citizenship preparation and in-school and after-school youth programs. Our Community Organizing Projects help New Yorkers to implement strategies to combat shared problems, and develop leadership and the capacity for civic participation. And our Legal and Health Services Departments provide direct legal representation, case management, and facilitated enrollment into public health insurance programs, training, and strategic support for members and organizing campaigns. Our attorneys and advocates specialize in labor and employment law, public benefits, disability benefits, housing law, healthcare and health insurance access, immigration, public education, domestic violence, and LGBTQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer) civil rights issues.
Our Adult Literacy Department in Queens runs an average of 15 different ESOL and Civics classes every cycle for 3-4 cycles a year.
MRNY’s Adult Literacy Department seeks a highly responsible, organized, and dedicated full-time Program Assistant to do intensive data entry and other tasks to support the adult literacy program. The Program Assistant will be responsible for entering data in multiple databases, helping with student outreach, intake, testing and other administrative tasks to support MRNY’s English, Citizenship and other classes as needed.
The Program Assistant will, among other things:
· Enter student and program data into ASISTS, Connect, Capricorn and Salesforce databases
· Run and analyze data reports and take action to improve data for funders
· Communicate with IT staff for Salesforce troubleshooting
· Provide training and coordinate/communicate with other staff including teachers, volunteers and other agency partners
· Attend training and meeting as needed
· Review students’ records, email staff with different requests, answer and make phones calls, do photocopying, faxing, filing, typing, and updating of waiting lists.
· Pre and post test students’ English language skills using Best Plus software and Civics skills using the AACE
· Call students for intake and testing appointments, for re-enrollment, to follow up on absences, etc. if/as needed
· Enter notes in our database or Google forms about new class candidates, attendance, call notes, outreach work, scheduled appointments, test scores, etc.
· Carry out registration and re-enrollment of students
· Communicate via phone, email, etc. with team members and across the organization as needed to keep work moving smoothly
· Complete other tasks, as needed, to support the department.
- Eligible to work in the US
- Associate’s degree in Business Administration or related area of study
- At least 2 years previous experience doing data entry and administrative work in an office setting
- Must be fully bilingual in English and Spanish (spoken and written), and comfortable communicating in Spanish
- Database experience
- Strongly preferred:
- specific experience with ASISTS, Connect, Salesforce and Capricorn databases
- experience not just entering data, but running and analyzing data reports and taking action to improve data quality and outcomes
- Ability to type at least 35 wpm and demonstrated computer experience using office programs including, Salesforce, ASISTS, Word, Excel, Publisher, etc.
- Must have a strong ability to multi-task, meet deadlines as needed, learn fast, take initiative and work independently with high standards.
- Must be a trustworthy individual, with the flexibility to work different days and hours, including occasionally during the evening and on weekends. Must be efficient, communicative, a team player and work well under pressure; Occasionally must be willing to support our work in Brooklyn or Staten Island, as needed.
Compensation: Starting compensation is based on a scale set by a democratically-elected personnel committee and will depend on factors such as experience and education. MRNY offers a generous benefit package including health insurance and 401K.
How to Apply: Please email résumé and cover letters ASAP to: AdultEDAdmin@maketheroadny.org
Please include the position you are applying for in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Interviews will likely be held the week of March 25th.
MRNY is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse staff. Women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities and people of color strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, genetic information, disability or marital status.