CUNY Start is an intensive program for incoming college students who have earned either a high school or high school equivalency diploma and need to increase their academic proficiency in reading, writing, and/or mathematics prior to enrollment in college credit classes. The CUNY Office of Academic Affairs, all of the University's seven community colleges, Medgar Evers College, and the College of Staten Island work collaboratively to provide students with an innovative approach to developmental education. CUNY Start is recognized for its carefully designed curriculum and pedagogy, advisement, ongoing professional development, and mentor-based training model.
CUNY Start, recognized as an important University initiative, has consistently proven to be highly effective at reducing and/or eliminating student's remedial needs within one semester. Since 2011, CUNY Start has undergone a large-scale expansion, serving nearly 3.900 students across the system in FY15. In addition, the program is currently participating in a study led by the nationally recognized research group MDRC in partnership with the Community College Research Center at Columbia University (CCRC) to compare CUNY Start student outcomes to other remedial pathways at the college.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Language Acquisition Programs, in the Division of Adult and Continuing Education (ACE) at LaGuardia Community College, the CUNY Start Manager ensures the successful implementation of the CUNY Start and Math Start model, goals, and outcomes, including successful recruitment of students to meet established targets. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Supervises the campus CUNY Start and Math Start teams, including: day-to-day management of staff, provision of human resources information, participation in performance reviews, communication of CUNY Start standard policies and program updates;
- Manage all aspects of the campus CUNY Start and Math Start budgets, payroll, and human resource systems.
- Establishes and maintains relationships on behalf of the CUNY Start and Math Start programs with campus departments, including admissions, testing and any other departments that can assist with referral of students into the program and support their matriculation into degree programs upon completion;
- Ensures CUNY Start and Math Start have appropriate space to operate, including classrooms, office space, and computer labs;
- Works closely with the CUNY Start University Director and Central Office Leadership team to develop and standardize program operations;
- Collaborates with the CUNY Start curriculum and professional development team (math, writing/reading and advisement) to support successful delivery of the CUNY Start curriculum and the development of teachers and advisors in the program's instructional model at his/her campus;
- Manages ongoing communications regarding CUNY Start and Math Start with college leadership;
- Works in a flexible, collaborative, and responsive manner with multiple stakeholders to achieve CUNY Start and Math Start outcomes and goals;
- Utilizes program data (provided by the CUNY Start Research and Evaluation team) to discuss CUNY Start and Math Start outcomes with college leadership and for ongoing program development purposes.
Bachelor's degree and six years' related experience required.
Master's degree in education, higher education, student services or a related field strongly preferred. Five years of working experience in education, preferably in adult education at the college level working with diverse populations. Able to work in a fast-paced environment with strong written and oral communication skills, along with knowledge of PeopleSoft systems preferred.
For more information and to apply go to this link