Teacher Training Position
(Continuing Education Teacher– Hourly)
CUNY Start is an intensive pre-matriculation program that helps CUNY associate degree-seeking students with significant remedial needs increase their academic proficiency in English and/or in mathematics prior to enrollment in college credit classes. CUNY Start is recognized for its carefully designed curriculum and pedagogy, ongoing professional development, and mentor-based training model. CUNY Start programs are currently located on eight CUNY campuses: Borough of Manhattan Community College, Bronx Community College, College of Staten Island, Hostos Community College, Kingsborough Community College, LaGuardia Community College, New York City College of Technology, and Queensborough Community College.
CUNY Start’s English program offers semester-based and shorter term course offerings that helps students develop their English skills, prepare for college-level English classes, and meet CUNY proficiency milestones.
The CUNY Start Cooperating English Teacher position (“Cooperating English Teacher”) is a paid training opportunity to learn to use a successful, student-centered approach and curriculum with CUNY students who have significant remedial English needs. Under the supervision of the Program Director, the Cooperating English Teacher is responsible for learning and/or supporting the work of an experienced CUNY Start Instructor in implementing the CUNY Start English curriculum.
CUNY Start may deliver instruction in multiple formats: in-person, online or as hybrid classes that are both online and in-person. Online instruction may be a combination of synchronous and asynchronous teaching that is determined at the discretion of program management. Online work may entail instruction on such platforms as Blackboard, Zoom, and other remote instructional tools that are available and approved by the University and which support the goals and practices of the program. During periods of remote teaching, CUNY Start Teachers remain responsible for maintaining high-levels of student engagement and enacting the CUNY Start curriculum with fidelity to the program model.
- Key duties include, but will not be limited to the following:
- Work under the guidance and leadership of the Lead Teacher;
- Study lesson plans thoroughly in advance of all classes;
- Observe classes and assist the Lead Teacher in and outside of the classroom;
- Assist students as they plan, revise, and edit essays, and respond to writing with suggestions for revision;
- Facilitate student group work and guide group interactions;
- Lead classroom activities of increasing length over the course of the training semester;
- Attend and participate in regular professional development meetings;
- Assist in student conferences, orientation, testing, and recruitment;
- Attend and participate in team meetings with advisors and teachers;
- Other related duties as assigned.
The preferred candidate will possess the educational and professional qualifications appropriate to the teaching assignment as indicated below:
- Bachelor's degree required; Master's degree preferred;
- CUNY Start Cooperating English Teacher Job Description rev. 11/7/2022
- CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among out protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
- Four years of teaching experience in adult education, developmental skills, or related discipline strongly preferred;
- Experience working with diverse learners;
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills;
- Proactive and detail-oriented with strong organizational skills;
- Ability to work effectively as an individual contributor and team member;
- Ability to receive and incorporate feedback quickly;
- Computer proficiency using standard academic, administrative, and office software programs/applications;
- Experience with online instruction via MS 365, Blackboard, or other collaborative online platforms; comfortable with both online and in-person teaching modalities;
- Willingness to travel to multiple campuses after the initial training semester and to train both in person and online.
$40.45 per hour as a Continuing Education Teacher (CET). Please note that the CET rate is subject to future collective bargaining increases;
Approximately 25 hours per week, depending on holidays and campus calendar; Monday-Friday in daytime programs; Monday-Thursday in afternoon/evening programs.
Appointment period: approximately six (6) months from appointment date; a maximum of 530 hours for a full six-month appointment.
Positions available at multiple campuses. Campuses with priority hiring needs are currently the College of Staten Island and Kingsborough Community College.
Cooperating English Teachers who successfully complete at least one semester of service in the CUNY Start program are eligible to apply for appointments as a Core or Support Teacher in CUNY Start, to the extent vacancies are available. Summer teaching may be required.
To apply, email all of the following items to email@example.com:
A cover letter and current resume;
A copy of an English lesson plan that reveals some element of your teaching and learning values;
A list of all CUNY Start campuses where you are willing to work and whether you prefer either a daytime or afternoon/evening schedule or could work either schedule. On your list, please indicate your top 3 choices for campus placement.
Please note that we cannot guarantee an applicant’s preferred campus or schedule, but we try to accommodate an applicant’s request whenever possible in alignment with program needs. Schedule options are subject to change.
CUNY Start is always looking for talented people of all cultures, religions, races, and gender expressions – so that our staff is a direct reflection of the people we serve. Additional information about CUNY Start can be found at www.cuny.edu/cunystart.