Job Title: ASISTS Program Associate (ASISTS Technical Support)
Position Overview: The ASISTS Program Associate will be responsible for providing phone and email support to users of the ASISTS data system. The Associate will also assist the Senior Software Programmer in troubleshooting the ASISTS software and making minor fixes. Finally, the Associate will be part of a team supporting a network of adult education programs receiving Adult Literacy Education (ALE) funds in New York City.
Reports to: The Director of ASISTS. The Associate will also work closely with the entire ASISTS team. For ALE-related work, the Associate will report to the NYC STAC (Support and Technical Assistance Center) director.
Background: Since 1983, the Literacy Assistance Center (LAC) has been working to build the capacity and improve the quality of the Adult Basic Education (ABE), English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), and High School Equivalency (HSE) programs that serve New York and the surrounding region's most educationally disadvantaged and economically marginalized communities. One of its biggest projects is ASISTS (Adult Student Information System and Technical Support), the data system used by all programs funded by the New York State Education Department (NYSED) to manage and report student data following state and federal guidelines. The ASISTS team maintains the ASISTS software, trains program staff and provides technical support to program users at all levels.
The New York City Support and Technical Assistance Center (STAC) for Adult Literacy Education (ALE) Programs is also housed at the LAC. The purpose of the STAC is to provide support and technical assistance to the adult education programs in New York City receiving ALE funding.
- Technical support responsibilities include:
- Responding to requests from users of the ASISTS software for technical support. Technical support is typically provided through email, though phone calls and webinars are also commonly used methods.
- Working with the STAC director to provide technical support to programs receiving state ALE funds.
- Maintaining the STAC website.
- Creating documentation that explain how ASISTS data entry screens and reports work. This work also includes creating scripts for instructional videos that are posted in the ASISTS Resource Bank.
- Managing the ASISTS Resource Bank, a repository of user documentation, training videos and software release notes.
- Drafting and sending out email blasts to ASISTS users after each new release.
- Software maintenance responsibilities include:
- Working with the ASISTS team to plan new ASISTS releases, which are usually scheduled once every two months.
- In response to user feedback, confirming and troubleshooting ASISTS bugs.
- Working with the Senior Software Programmer, diagnose and document software issues.
- Implementing simple fixes under the guidance of the Senior Programmer.
- Helping with documentation and tracking of all ASISTS software work.
Schedule: Typically, Monday to Friday, 9:00 – 5:00. Some travel may be necessary, less than once a month on average.
- Knowledge of HTML and CSS a must
- Familiarity with SQL or a database management system strongly preferred
- Excellent writing skills a must as well as good interpersonal and communication abilities
- Past experience providing technical support a plus
Salary and Benefits:
This position offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including health, dental and retirement benefits. The LAC is an equal opportunity employer that values a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The LAC encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to age, alienage or citizenship status, arrest or conviction record, caregiver status, color, credit history, disability, gender, gender identity, marital or partnership status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion/creed, salary history, sexual orientation, status as victim of domestic violence, sexual violence, or stalking, unemployment status, status as a veteran or active military service member.
How to apply:
Please submit a cover letter, resume and salary expectations to email@example.com.