We provide thoughtful, innovative instruction, individualized counseling, and a nurturing environment for learners aged 16 and older. Students enter our program with the hope that the ALC’s key programs comprising free classes for Adult Basic Education (ABE), High School Equivalency (HSE), and English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), including career and college readiness, can provide them with a meaningful pathway toward qualitatively better lives and economic self-sufficiency. Our classes embed adult learning in real-life contexts to ensure everyone who enters our door has the skills to get a foothold and compete in the modern workplace.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
Reporting to the Director of the ALC, the Case Manager will perform the following duties:
- Act as a confidential case manager for adult student issues, including assessing academic and personal needs and assisting students who may be in crisis or off-track with ALC program requirements.
- Keep an updated case management log accessible to the Director.
- Refer students to support services, academic and career advising, CUNY, and external resources to assist with issues, including legal services, academics, crisis support, wellness, and emotional support. Develop relationships and collaborates with local agencies and community organizations to provide students with additional avenues to access resources and programs.
- Create and share information and resources with ALC students, staff and faculty, and the Lehman community by hosting workshops and events.
- Arrange and assist with special events, ceremonies, and conferences.
Attributes of Lehman’s Adult Learning Center staff members are:
- Experienced advising immigrant and underrepresented students with a strong understanding of student support and academic services in education.
- Informed about trends and issues facing immigrant, low-income and first-generation college, underrepresented, and disadvantaged students in education.
- Experienced in analyzing problems and identifying solutions as a team.
- Able to work effectively with diverse constituencies, including urban students, faculty, and administrators.
- Willingly perform the duties of other positions when necessary
- Bachelor’s Degree with relevant experience, Master’s Degree preferred.
- Proficient in the use of major software programs for supporting office operations: including word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, publications, mailings, web and internet, email, and document retention and imaging.
- Strong interest in adult literacy education or the non-profit sector.
- Commitment to and experience with working in a collaborative work environment.
- Fluent in English and another language, Spanish, Arabic, Bengali, or French.
To apply: https://www.rfcuny.org/careers/postings?pvnID=LE-2206-004867