Inwood Community Services, Inc., a community-based not-for-profit located in Northern Manhattan, seeks an Assistant Director/Adult Education Counselor for its Adult Literacy Program. The 20 hour/week position is part-time and in-person, Monday-Thursday, 4PM-9PM.
- Dedicated educators with good interpersonal skills committed to empowering adult immigrant students
- Spanish/English bilingual applicants with 5-plus years’ experience in Adult Literacy education and working familiarity with the New York City Adult Literacy Initiative
- Resourceful, self-motivated applicants who can demonstrate strong organizational skills, experience in program or contract development, and can provide direct counseling and referral services to students for education, training, employment, and social services
- Work closely with the Director to monitor, coordinate and deliver the ICS Adult Literacy Program
- Assist in the daily smooth delivery of classes.
- Interview and evaluate incoming students to develop Individual Service Plans; follow up to evaluate student progress; and assist with education, training, job and personal goals
- Develop and maintain networks appropriate for referrals for services needed
- Above all, we seek the right candidate who is committed to building relationships, working harmoniously with our staff, students and community and working in the field of adult literacy.
- The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s Degree and five years’ experience in adult literacy
- Fluency in Spanish and English
- Familiarity with the local area of Inwood and surroundings is a plus
- Certification in Best Plus Administration or willing to become certified
- COVID vaccination is required with very rare exceptions based on religious or medical exemption
Compensation: based on experience.
ICS is a not-for-profit located in the neighborhood of Inwood, Northern Manhattan with diverse community-oriented programming, including its nearly 40-year Adult Literacy program. We welcome applicants from the local area as well as those outside the neighborhood committed to the field of adult literacy.
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.