The Adult Basic Skills (ABS) department in the Division of Adult Continuing Education at LaGuardia Community College is seeking a dynamic, hardworking educator who has significant experience teaching adult High School Equivalency (HSE) preparation courses and familiarity with the New York State –approved Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC).
The position is for off-campus classes to be held on either Monday and Wednesday evenings or Tuesday and Thursday evenings or both, starting March 13 through November 14; each session is 3 hours--5:30-8:30 pm. The position pays $50 per hour, 6 hours per week for each class. Applicants can apply for one class or for both. The classes will be held in one of New York City’s hospitals.
The instructor will be responsible for a class of 15-20 adults, incumbent employees at one of the city’s hospitals and must be comfortable with learner-centered, participatory lessons and a project-based approach. Candidates must have demonstrated experience with developing theme-based and interdisciplinary adult education curricula, designing student-centered classroom environments, and utilizing a variety of assessment methods. The instructor will be responsible for creating her/his own contextualized curriculum and lesson plans related to nutrition and health science, in conjunction with ABS’s Teacher Coordinator.
Essential Duties include:
- Provide high quality instruction in all HSE subject areas in a learner-centered classroom.
- Develop meaningful contextualized curricula and stimulating lesson plans based on student needs to cover all subjects on TASC
- Conduct mid-term and end-of-term conferences to assess and share progress with students.
- Collaborate with ABS’s Teacher Coordinator
- Communicate and report progress of students to Director
- Develop an education plan for each student
- Administer pre-test, readiness test and post-test for HSE Prep course
- Track attendance
Minimum Requirements: Bachelor of Arts/Science degree, plus at least three (3) years adult education and/or non-traditional teaching experience, along with relevant adult education professional development required. Must be able to work independently in off-site location. Knowledge of nutrition or health science a plus.
Please send cover letter and resume with subject—Instructor off-campus to email@example.com