Adult English Language and Literacy (AELL) is the direct service provider of ESOL and adult literacy instruction for New York Public Library. Professional teachers facilitate free instruction to adult patrons in reading, writing, speaking, and listening from a 0 to 8th-grade level in both in-person and online classes. Instruction is offered in 3, 10-week cycles and 1, 4-week summer cycle. The Intake Advisors recruit new students, determine eligibility through testing and interview, and monitor attendance, and student retention. Intake Advisors follow up with students to identify barriers to participation and encourage continuation in the program.
- Provide case management services to students including running information sessions, organizing the intake appointment process including assessment (Best Plus and TABE), NRS goal setting, and placement in a class, or referral to an outside agency; monitor student progress, daily follow up with students who have an attendance problem to encourage continuation in the program
- Input data for students into the agency database in a timely manner, which includes client personal contact information, assessment results, attendance, and educational and employment outcomes.
- Test all students at the end of each cycle
- Maintain paper record files for each student as per NYSED requirements
- Conduct outreach
- Connect adult students with needed and available community resources. Follow-up with clients and agencies as appropriate to document use/success of referral.
- Provide workshops on using technology, orientations to library services, etc.
Required Education & Certifications
- Bachelor’s degree in education, English, literacy, or a related field
- Certification in Best Plus and TABE (attainment of certification required within the first 3 months of employment)
- Required Experience
- 1 year of experience working with culturally diverse populations
- Experience using databases (data entry and management)
- Knowledge of community resources and counseling/social services for high needs populations. (literacy and language needs)
- Experience in data entry and utilization of various databases
- Intermediate knowledge of Excel and Google Drive
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Proficiency in navigating and leading meetings on Zoom
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work with culturally diverse communities
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
For more information, and to apply, click here.