Inwood Community Services, Inc. seeks an Adult Education Counselor to support ESOL and EL/Civics students. The schedule is 12 hours/week, Monday-Thursday, 6PM-9PM, with some flexibility. Services occur remotely but may in the future revert to in-person, depending on health and safety conditions and prioritizing staff and student safety.
- Dedicated educators with good interpersonal skills committed to empowering adult immigrant students
- Spanish/English bilingual applicants with 3-plus years’ experience in adult education or literacy
- Applicants able to form referral networks with education, training, employment, and social services
- Assess and develop Individual Service Plans for incoming students
- Follow up to evaluate student placement, progress and attendance in class
- Assist students in overcoming barriers to attendance or retention
- Assist students with education, training, job and personal goals; develop and maintain networks appropriate for referrals for services needed
- Maintain records of all counseling interactions
- Assist in the smooth delivery of classes. Counselors may deliver workshops on appropriate topics, support teachers with issues relating to class management, follow up with students on issues related to learning, behavior, attendance, retention or other area of concern.
- Participate in registration, orientation, pre- and post-testing
- The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s Degree plus three years’ experience in adult literacy
- Fluency in Spanish and English
- Familiarity with the local area of Inwood and surroundings is a plus
- Certification in Best Plus Administration or willing to become certified
- COVID vaccination is required with very rare exceptions based on religious or medical exemption
Compensation: based on experience.
ICS is a community-based not-for-profit in Northern Manhattan with a 32-year Adult Literacy program and a long-tenured staff. We seek staff from the local area as well as those outside the neighborhood committed to the field of adult literacy.
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.