- Our Legal Services, Social Services, and Weatherization programs meet community members’ basic needs including housing, income, nutrition and health.
- Our Community Organizing program empowers groups of residents to collectively secure longer term and larger scale improvements to their own basic needs.
- Our Education & Career Services program imparts individual community members with the practical tools necessary to build secure and prosperous futures.
Job Title: ABE/HSE Instructor – Literacy/Social Studies Specialist
Department: Education & Career Services
Reports To: Education Coordinator
Location: Main Office: 45 Wadsworth Avenue, NY, NY 10033
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The ABE/HSE Literacy/Social Studies Specialist is a part-time position responsible for providing instruction to ABE/HSE classes in the Adult Education division of the Education & Career Services department in conjunction with a Science/Math specialist. The ABE/HSE instructor is responsible for teaching content- literacy, social studies to young adult and adult learners enrolled in education classes.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and facilitate curriculum for ABE and HSE instruction based on educational and Common Core Standards.
- Provide English, Writing, and Social Studies instruction to prepare students for the test to obtain their high school equivalency diploma, i.e., Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC)
- Collaborate with the Science/Math specialist to coordinate class activities and conference on students
- Develop and deliver daily lesson plans and educational activities for program participants.
- Monitor students' engagement and classroom conduct.
- Maintain attendance records and submit attendance logs to program staff.
- Complete biweekly case notes according to funders’ mandates.
- Submit Lesson logs weekly
- Host guest speakers, volunteers and/or alternate programming when needed.
- Attend professional development sessions and program meetings.
- Initiate and participate in case conferencing sessions as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BA/BS required.
- MA strongly preferred.
- Minimum three years experience in an educational setting required.
- Experience teaching multiple ages with various needs.
- Dedication to creating an inclusive classroom
- Must have superb presentation & classroom presence, and be a dynamic instructor.
NMIC offers a competitive salary based on experience and education.
NMIC IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
NMIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively encourages candidates of diverse backgrounds to apply for employment. Applicants must meet the minimum requirements in terms of qualifications. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered unless specifically stated otherwise.
Please submit the following to Jason Bocko, Academic Coordinator, at email@example.com with the job title in the subject line:
- Cover letter
- One writing sample
- Salary requirements
All attachments should be in Word or PDF form. No phone calls, please.