MRNY’s NYC based Adult Education team is seeking a highly motivated, compassionate and skilled math instructor to teach one 4.5 hr/wk class weekly in our Bushwick, Brooklyn location. (Class will be remote until probably after January 2022 if not later.)
Make the Road New York (MRNY) builds the power of Latino and working class communities to achieve dignity and justice through organizing, policy innovation, transformative education, and survival services. Make the Road New York operates neighborhood-based community centers in Bushwick, Brooklyn; Jackson Heights, Queens; Port Richmond, Staten Island; and Brentwood, Long Island. With a membership of 24,000 low-income New Yorkers, MRNY tackles the critical issues facing our community: workplace justice, tenants’ rights, immigrant civil rights, language-access, LGBTQ justice, public education, health care access, and immigration reform.
Make the Road New York https://maketheroadny.org/ is a multi-service organization. Our Education Department offers English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), citizenship preparation, health job training classes and in-school and after-school youth programs. Our Community Organizing Projects help New Yorkers to implement strategies to combat shared problems, and develop leadership and the capacity for civic participation. And our Departments of Legal, Health & Support Services provides direct legal representation, case management, and facilitated enrollment into public health insurance programs, training, and strategic support for members and organizing campaigns. Our attorneys and advocates specialize in labor and employment law, public benefits, disability benefits, housing law, healthcare and health insurance access, immigration, public education, domestic violence, and LGBTQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer) civil rights issues.
Make the Road New York’s Adult Literacy Team is seeking a Part Time math instructor for our Bridge to Health Careers class: in our Bushwick office on Fridays from 8:45am-1:30pm -- (4.5 teaching hours + 4.5 hours of prep time for a total of 9 hours per week)
Responsibilities / Competencies:
- Curricular design work- Hand in course outlines, unit and lesson plans and related materials in the requested format by the deadlines that are set and agreed to. Maintain all of that in the Google drive, and integrate certain thematic content and materials into lessons as required by funders or decided by the team.
- Student Assessment- combine TABE initial assessments with original math assessments at the beginning of the cycle and continue to assess students in an intentional and structured way throughout the cycle.
- Instruction- Deliver content material in ways that take into account students’ levels and learning styles, the need to pace and scaffold information, and the need to balance the and cover a variety of math skills in each 16 week cycle.
- Communication with and support of students - Call absent students and document calls; make referrals to MRNY’s case manager as needed
- Related admin/grant related tasks- in addition to tracking attendance, help with post testing, grading of samples of students’ work, and writing monthly progress notes for a portion of students in the class, as funders require.
- Participate in meetings and trainings- attend external professional development according to funders’ requirements, as well as 1 on 1 support meetings, team and staff meetings
- Must be creative, organized, and committed to thematic instruction and learner-centered, participatory education
- Good team player able to collaborate with the lead teacher.
- Eligible to work in the US
- Bachelor’s Degree
- At least 3 yrs. math teaching experience, preferably teaching adults.
- For ESOL classes must be able to speak some Spanish with students outside of class if not occasionally within class
- Strong computer skills
- Teaching Certification or Masters in TESOL or math (as relevant to the position)
- Experience teaching for the TABE Math Test
- Experience working in community based social justice organizations
- Interest in collaboration and professional development with team members.
- Some proficiency in Spanish
- Best Plus Certified a plus
There is a Fall Cohort which starts in mid Sept and a Winter cohort which starts in late Jan/early Feb.
The job will run from late August 2021 to late June 2022 with the possibility to renew for the 2022 / 2023 academic year, depending on the teacher’s performance and funding.
Salary Information: Starting compensation is based on a scale set by a democratically- elected personnel committee and will depend on factors such as experience and education.
How to Apply: Applicants should submit resumes and cover letters to this link: Apply Here. You will need to apply through our ADP system.
Interviews will be held in July and training/meetings will begin the week of Aug 30th.
MRNY is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse staff. Women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, genetic information, disability or marital status.