The Fortune Society is seeking to fill the position of Teacher, who, under the supervision of the Director of Education, will be responsible for facilitating dynamic interdisciplinary instruction at a variety Adult Basic Education (ABE) levels, including High School Equivalency (HSE). The Teacher will assist with providing standardized and alternate assessment to support students’ education attainment and goals.
Long Island City
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, maybe required to work one evening per week, subject to change depending on program needs
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Design and facilitate innovative and engaging interdisciplinary (Reading, Math, Science, Language Arts & Social Studies) educational curricula for adult basic education through HSE students that leverages best practices in Adult Education principles and instruction to develop a model that will help student’s achieve educational outcomes;
- Collaboratively work with intake staff to conduct outreach, orientation, testing, and student interviews to provide initial assessment and help place students in the appropriate class;
- Conduct ongoing assessment of student progress, including standardized tests and alternative assessment;
- Maintain regular communication with students’ counselors in other Fortune departments;
- Monitoring student attendance to achieve a 80% attendance rate at each weekly session;
- Co-planning educational and career field trips with education staff Enter electronic attendance data, maintain student attendance logs, progress and test folders;
- Contribute data to internal and external reports on the development and progress of Fortune’s educational program;
- Contribute to the development and expansion of the education program;
- Participate in staff meetings and other staff development activities; Assist in planning special events; and
- Perform other duties as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree required;
- Familiarity with Adult Basic Education, Pre-HSE and/or HSE Proficiency in computer applications, such as MS Word and Excel;
- Familiarity with models of adult literacy education;
- Experience with students involved in the criminal justice system;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to engage and motivate students and volunteers;
- Commitment to developing innovative teaching methods; and
- We seek talented, dedicated individuals from all walks of life who possess a strong commitment to this mission.
- Relevant personal experience is a plus.
May require travel to our Harlem location.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The responsibilities and requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, minimum education, training, licensing, experience and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
To apply go to this link:https://www.paycomonline.net/v4/ats/web.php/jobs/ViewJobDetails?clientkey=33B4B23E84A9B3F4CD16B8BC7604391F&jpt=&job=6274
The Fortune Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of conviction history, race, religion/creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victim of domestic violence status or marital status.