- Our Legal Services, Social Services, and Weatherization programs meet community members’ basic needs including housing, income, nutrition and health.
- Our Community Organizing program empowers groups of residents to collectively secure longer term and larger scale improvements to their own basic needs.
- Our Education & Career Services program imparts individual community members with the practical tools necessary to build secure and prosperous futures.
Job Title: ABE/HSE Instructor – Math/Science Specialist
Department: Education & Career Services
Reports To: Education Coordinator
Location: Main Office: 45 Wadsworth Avenue, NY, NY 10033
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The ABE/HSE Math/Science Specialist is a part-time position responsible for providing instruction to ABE/HSE classes in the Adult Education division of the Education & Career Services department in conjunction with a Literacy Specialist. The ABE/HSE instructor is responsible for teaching basic math up to algebra and geometry and GED Science concepts to young adult and adult learners enrolled in education classes. Classes will be taught hybrid. This is an in-person position. We offer both morning and evening classes. We offer morning (9-12) and evening (6-9) classes
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and facilitate curriculum for ABE and HSE instruction based on educational and Common Core Standards.
- Instruct beginning learners are they develop basic numeracy concepts
- Provide math and science instruction to prepare students for the test to obtain their high school equivalency diploma, i.e., GED.
- Collaborate with the Literacy Specialist to coordinate class activities and conference on students.
- Develop and deliver daily lesson plans and educational activities for program participants.
- Monitor students' engagement and classroom conduct.
- Maintain attendance records and submit attendance logs to program staff.
- Enter biweekly case notes into NMIC database according to funders’ mandates.
- Submit lesson plans weekly
- Host guest speakers, volunteers and/or alternate programming when needed.
- Maintain an active Google Classroom.
- Utilize technology in the classroom to enrich the educational experience
- Attend professional development sessions and program meetings.
- Initiate and participate in case conferencing sessions as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BA/BS required
- MA strongly preferred
- Minimum three years experience in an educational setting required
- Experience teaching multiple ages with various needs
- Experience using technology to enhance learning
- Dedication to creating an inclusive classroom
- Must have superb presentation & classroom presence and be a dynamic instructor
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination
33$ per hour plus planning time (one hour per class session)
NMIC IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
NMIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively encourages candidates of diverse backgrounds to apply for employment. Applicants must meet the minimum requirements in terms of qualifications. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered unless specifically stated otherwise.
TO APPLY: Please submit the following to Jason Bocko (He/Him), Academic Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title in the subject line:
- Cover letter
- One Brief Lesson Plan
All attachments should be in Word or PDF form. No phone calls, please.
Please note this position will be in person