The Lehman College Adult Learning Center is seeking a dynamic part-time ABE/HSE Reading & Writing Teacher to work with a diverse group of adult learners. Each class meets for two sessions a week.
- Morning sessions meet on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:30 am to 12:30 pm.
- Evening sessions meet on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6 pm to 9 pm.
The Lehman College Adult Learning Center (ALC) is a teacher-led direct-service project of the Institute for Literacy Studies (ILS). Our shared mission—advancing urban education—has deep significance for the schools, colleges, and community-based settings in our home borough of the Bronx. Four interrelated core values inspire and infuse our work: commitments to human capacity, social justice, the power of democratic communities, and transformative work for all persons.
We provide thoughtful, innovative instruction, individualized counseling, and a nurturing environment for learners aged 16 and older. Students enter our program with the hope that the ALC’s key programs comprising free classes for Adult Basic Education (ABE), High School Equivalency (HSE), and English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), including career and college readiness, can provide them with a meaningful pathway toward qualitatively better lives and economic self-sufficiency. Our classes embed adult learning in real-life contexts to ensure that everyone who comes through our door has the skills to get a foothold and compete in the modern workplace.
Essential duties include:
- Providing high-quality theme-based instruction to help students develop their reading and writing skills
- Designing engaging lessons to help students foster a love of reading and learning
- Integrating different online platforms and technologies to effectively deliver instruction
- Collaborating with staff and teachers to develop best teaching practices and enriching materials
- Reviewing and communicating class progress with both staff and students
- Actively partaking in internal teacher meetings and citywide professional development
- Maintaining class attendance and communicating with students about program participation issues
- Participating in new student orientations and program-wide events and activities
- Conducting required assessments including TABE and GED Readiness exams when needed
- Having a willingness to learn and become part of the ALC community of teachers and learners
- Candidate must have Bachelor's degree and relevant teaching and education experience.
- Prior adult education experience, Master’s Degree a plus.
To Apply: Please upload a cover letter and resume on the Research Foundation of CUNY at: https://www.rfcuny.org/careers/postings?pvnID=LE-2208-004992