Northern Manhattan Improvement Corporation (NMIC) is a community-based, not-for-profit organization founded in 1979 that has grown into a leading multi-service agency with over 120 staff serving New York City with a focus on upper Manhattan and the Bronx. Our mission is to serve as a catalyst for positive change in the lives of the people in our community on their paths to secure and prosperous futures. Integration is the cornerstone of NMIC’s programs, and our staff can identify and address a broad array of immediate needs through comprehensive crisis intervention services. With their crises resolved, clients move seamlessly to capacity building services through our holistic programs designed to transition individuals and families to self-sufficiency.
- Our Legal Services, Social Services, and Weatherization programs meet community members’ basic needs including housing, income, nutrition and health.
- Our Community Organizing program empowers groups of residents to collectively secure longer term and larger scale improvements to their own basic needs.
- Our Education & Career Services program imparts individual community members with the practical tools necessary to build secure and prosperous futures.
Job Title: ABE/HSE Instructor – Math/Science Specialist
Department: Education & Career Services
Reports To: Education Coordinator
Location: Main Office: 45 Wadsworth Avenue, NY, NY 10033
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The ABE/HSE Math/Science Specialist is a part-time position responsible for providing instruction to ABE/HSE classes in the Adult Education division of the Education & Career Services department in conjunction with a Literacy Specialist. The ABE/HSE instructor is responsible for teaching basic math up to algebra and geometry and GED Science concepts to young adult and adult learners enrolled in education classes. Classes will be taught hybrid. This is an in-person position. We offer both morning and evening classes. We offer morning (9-12) and evening (6-9) classes
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and facilitate curriculum for ABE and HSE instruction based on educational and Common Core Standards.
- Instruct beginning learners are they develop basic numeracy concepts
- Provide math and science instruction to prepare students for the test to obtain their high school equivalency diploma, i.e., GED.
- Collaborate with the Literacy Specialist to coordinate class activities and conference on students.
- Develop and deliver daily lesson plans and educational activities for program participants.
- Monitor students' engagement and classroom conduct.
- Maintain attendance records and submit attendance logs to program staff.
- Enter biweekly case notes into NMIC database according to funders’ mandates.
- Submit lesson plans weekly
- Host guest speakers, volunteers and/or alternate programming when needed.
- Maintain an active Google Classroom.
- Utilize technology in the classroom to enrich the educational experience
- Attend professional development sessions and program meetings.
- Initiate and participate in case conferencing sessions as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BA/BS required
- MA strongly preferred
- Minimum three years experience in an educational setting required
- Experience teaching multiple ages with various needs
- Experience using technology to enhance learning
- Dedication to creating an inclusive classroom
- Must have superb presentation & classroom presence and be a dynamic instructor
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
33$ per hour plus planning time (one hour per class session)
NMIC IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
NMIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively encourages candidates of diverse backgrounds to apply for employment. Applicants must meet the minimum requirements in terms of qualifications. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered unless specifically stated otherwise.
TO APPLY: Please submit the following to Jason Bocko (He/Him), Academic Coordinator, at email@example.com with the job title in the subject line:
- Cover letter
- One Brief Lesson Plan
Please note this position will be in person