Adult Basic Skills HSE Preparation Program
LaGuardia Community College
LaGuardia Community College is seeking a part-time Math teacher for its ABS/HSE preparation program for a class that meets in 9:30am-1pm, 3 mornings per week to begin in January 2020. Teachers must be comfortable with learner-centered, participatory lessons and a project-based approach. Student-centered learning and critical thinking are central to the program. Teachers need to work closely with counselors and administrative staff to provide support for our students.
We are seeking a qualified creative educator who has an understanding of adult education pedagogy and experience working with adult students. Candidates should demonstrate a solid knowledge of math, familiarity with the TASC exam, expertise in designing a student centered classroom; BA/BS degree required in teaching or related field, plus a minimum of 2-3 years teaching experience preferably with adults.
Primary Responsibilities include:
- Providing high quality Math instruction in a learner-centered classroom
- Developing curricula to include lesson plans and materials based on student needs
- Incorporating CUNY framework lessons and materials to prepare students to pass the TASC Math exam
- Communicating with students regarding homework, upcoming events, test dates, absenteeism, etc.
- Designing a student-centered classroom
- Utilizing various assessment tools to evaluate and gauging readiness of students for TASC
- Administering TABE and Readiness tests.
- Motivating students to persist and succeed in the program
- Maintaining attendance records
- Evaluating and conferencing students on their progress mid-term and end-of-term
- Participating in professional development and staff meetings
- Other related tasks, as necessary