Location: LaGuardia Community College
All applications should be submitted through the link below:
The Academic Advising Coordinator will offer counseling services to new and continuing program participants in LaGuardia’s CUNY Fatherhood Academy. S/he will offer small group counseling workshops and meet individually with students to assess their needs and to develop Individual Development Plans for program participants which may include academic assessment, preparation for employment, parenting instruction, marriage/relationship skills development, supportive services, and follow-up. In addition to providing classroom support for the HSE component, s/he will also facilitate workshops geared to educate, inspire and guide participants towards an awareness of their worth as young men and fathers within their families and communities.
Under the supervision of the Academic Program Specialist, the Academic Advising Coordinator will support advising services to new and continuing program participants in the CUNY Fatherhood Academy.
- Coordinates student academic counseling group advisement workshops and schedules on-going individual advisement sessions.
- Assists in the development of Individual Development Plans for program participants which may include academic assessment, preparation for employment, parenting instruction, marriage/relationship skills development, supportive services, and follow-up.
- Assists with the development of advising protocols regarding participant attendance and progress toward academic and vocational goals and maintains accurate records.
- Facilitates workshops geared to educate, inspire and guide participants towards an awareness of their worth as young men and fathers within their families and communities
- Provides general academic and college success advice; as well as, career exploration support
- Provides data for participant activity tracking reports. Monitors participant incentive program to increase productivity and engagement in programs.
- Assists in organizing field trips, off-site family events, job fairs and graduation ceremonies
- Advocate for students, intervene with appropriate program support services and referrals to faculty, campus learning resources and/or additional external supports
- Participates in regular team meetings with faculty, academic and administrative staff, and actively participates in campus and University meetings and training activities
- Participates in executing the program's daily operations and logistics
- Utilizes program data to assist with evaluating progress and the attainment of student goals, monitors student learning outcomes and creates and provides regular status reports to the Senior Academic Advisor
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Two (2) years' experience advising fathers, youth, or a related population preferred Strong organizational, time-management, administrative skills. Willingness and ability to take initiative, meet tight deadlines, and work with or without supervision. Possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills Ability to work in a diverse environment, and exhibit socio-cultural competence and understanding. Demonstrate leadership, problem-solving, decision-making and creative thinking skills. Excellent attention to detail and record keeping.
- CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
- Provides basic administrative support for the academic counseling program.
- Coordinates group student academic counseling and advisement workshops; schedules on-going advisement sessions
- Works with students to resolve academic issues by providing policy information and/or referrals
- Assists with training students, faculty and staff on use of advising technologies
- Conducts workshops for new faculty
- Updates advisement communication materials
- May conduct surveys of student services to evaluate program effectiveness; compiles data to prepare activity reports as needed
- May occasionally offer general academic advisement to students in degree and certificate programs.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Academic Advising Coordinator
Assistant to HEO
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
From CUNY's job posting system, select "Apply Now", create or log in to a user account, and provide the requested information. If you are viewing this posting from outside our system, access the employment page on our web site, www.cuny.edu, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Candidates should provide a CV/resume and the contact information for three professional references
CLOSING DATE: Open until filled. Review of resumes to begin on 9/24/15.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.