The YMCA of Greater New York seeks a professional Administrative Assistant to work at the Y Roads Literacy Centers (YR-LC) in East New York. The program serves young people, ages 17 to 24, who identify as having a particularly difficult time making the successful transition to adulthood, commonly referred to as opportunity youth. These young people are not enrolled in school, do not have their high school diploma and are not working full-time.
The part-time non-exempt Administrative Assistant is responsible for administrative and general office duties that support the Y Roads Literacy Center program including data entry, doing intakes, ensuring classrooms and spaces are ready, and recruitment and building a referral base for the Literacy Center’s participants.
- Provide administrative and clerical support to Y Roads Literacy Center staff.
- Operate all office machines and develop and take control of office inventory and purchasing of supplies.
- Ability to maintain required confidentiality.
- Manage room, program and workshop schedules.
- Maintain calendar, program and personnel files; program and office spaces.
- Answer phones and direct calls to the appropriate staff or department; take clear messages when necessary.
- Assist in researching potential referrals and organizing referral databases.
- Communicate with all staff, participants, and community members in a polite and respectful manner.
- Assist in event planning and fundraising efforts.
- Compile and enter participant demographics and program data into internal databases / spreadsheets, and funder database.
- Greet students, staff and visitors; inform students of daily programming.
- Actively participate in all training sessions and designated meetings.
- High School Diploma, GED/HSE or equivalent.
- Minimum of one year experience in working with young adults and/or teens.
- Minimum of one year of administrative experience.
- The ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office, and internet database systems.
- Must be well organized and able to handle shifting priorities.
- Bilingual skills a plus.
Y Roads East New York
Attn.: Parvoneh Shirgir
60 Williams Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11207