Full-Time Non-Exempt Bklyn/SI, NY, US
Salary Range: $51,859.00 To 61,859.00 Annually- dependent on relevant experience (NOTE: The salary will be higher in FY 23 due to a 8.7% COLA raise that will be added for 1/1/23.)
Make the Road New York builds the power of Latino and working class communities to achieve dignity and justice through organizing, policy innovation, transformative education, and survival services. Make the Road NY operates neighborhood-based community centers in Bushwick, Brooklyn; Jackson Heights, Queens; Port Richmond, Staten Island, Brentwood, Long Island and White Plains, Westchester. With a membership of more than 24,000 low-income New Yorkers, Make the Road tackles the critical issues facing our community: workplace justice, tenants’ rights, immigrant rights, language-access, LGBTQ justice, public education, health care access, and immigration reform.
One-third of adult New Yorkers– over two million people– lack either English proficiency or a high school diploma, but inadequate funding means that just 3% of New Yorkers have access to critical classes. Make the Road New York’s Adult Education team helps meet this need by providing English, tech, citizenship preparation, Bridge to Health Careers, and Community Health Worker classes to over 1,300 adults annually and by working in coalition with other providers across the city and state to push for better funding for adult education classes for all New Yorkers.
The Adult Education Admin Coordinator at Make the Road NY designs and carries out the outreach, orientation/testing, intake and post testing for the adult education classes including ESOL, Civics, Food Handlers Certification and Health Job Training Program. This position is based in Bushwick because the classes are offered in Bushwick. This position will be carried out in coordination with MRNY staff from our Health, Admin, Adult Ed, Volunteer Management, Communications teams and others. The person in this position will also work closely with the outreach specialist and other members of the admin leadership team in order to strategize on and implement outreach and other more general admin work work to keep the Ad Ed classes filled and running smoothly.
Responsible for the coordination of: intake, enrollment, attendance, data collection, post-testing, re-enrollment, data gathering and reporting for classes in SI and Brooklyn.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Intake for Adult Education Classes (ESOL, Civics and ESOL/Food Protection classes):
- Staff, organize, and run intake events three times per year, drawing hundreds of interested community members into MRNY’s BK and SI offices for information, orientation, testing, and enrollment.
- Serve as central program contact for teachers, students, and management during class cycles.
- Ensure proper collection and submission of student attendance and testing data by setting and enforcing deadlines, entering program data into Salesforce and the appropriate databases, and instituting quality control measures.
- Support retention goals by tracking student absenteeism, calling absent students to remind them of class and encouraging their return, and flagging related issues to teachers and management.
- Support teachers and admin decision making by providing periodic reports and updates regarding student progress, attendance, and other measures.
- Provide teachers and admin staff with training on program processes such as outreach, intake, re-enrollment, data entry in Salesforce, retention activities, etc.
- Ensure student and program records are complete and accurate in advance of grantor site visits, prepare presentation materials, attend to grantor needs and requests during site visits.
- Fulfill Senior Grant Manager requests for information and reports; execute tasks as directed.
- Support and supervise staff and interns.
- Represent Make the Road at grantor informational meetings, software and testing training events, and other functions.
- Working in coordination with outreach specialist--- as part of that, set outreach/intake weekly goals and send updates to interested stakeholders weekly
- Communicating directly with individuals, agency partners, and others across the city to promote the programs;
- Updating and distributing outreach materials via email, social media, mailings, street flyering and agency drop offs as needed.
- Ensure enrollment numbers of 22-30 students per class:
- Making and tracking of orientation/testing/ interview appointments for trainings
- Orienting potential candidates about the programs
- Assessing students to determine eligibility
- Enrolling students in classes using an in house Salesforce Database
- Maintaining data related to outreach and intake in a specialized Google database for this purpose as well as SF if/as necessary
- Enable the organization and department to attract and keep funders, and assess and improve our work - by maintaining registration, attendance, and other necessary data in Salesforce, and collecting other information as decided by the department or mandated by funders-ie- intake data, testing data, work authorization and educational level documentation, survey data, etc
- Filling out any forms needed, answering and making phone calls, photocopying, faxing, filing, typing, updating waiting lists.
- Read and respond to MRNY emails
- Support with other organizational and adult education department projects as needed
- Managing two 40 hour/week admin assistants as well as one 30 hour/week PT admin assistant who will support the project work during intensive summer and late Fall/Winter intake periods (6-7 mouths/yr for June-mid Sept, mid-Oct-early Jan), and working with our volunteer management team to leverage volunteer support
- Provide direct supervision to admin staff in a manner that promotes monthly growth and development in skills and potential by:
- Holding 1 on 1s to review work plans for any health training outreach/intake support staff
- Calling/facilitating health training team meetings as needed with adult ed, health and volunteer partners
- Scheduling and preparing agendas for those meetings
- Participate fully in supervisory, department, all-staff and cross-department meetings and retreats as well as professional development trainings quarterly
- Attend all team, leadership team, MRNY staff, and other meetings as needed
- Stay on top of all emails relevant to job description and organizational needs
- Maintain communication with HR and IT/tech support for any needs that arise
- Identify communicate program needs to the Program Director
- Assist in program development by participating in on-going reflection and change making process
- Eligible to work in the US
- Must be fully vaccinated with and FDA approved COVID-19 vaccine prior to first day of employment
- BA, case management experience- minimum 3 years
- Bilingual Spanish English
experience working in immigrant services and/or community-based social justice organizations, experience engaging in collaborative project development and educational programming/human services delivery with team members
Salary and Benefits: Starting salary is based on a scale set by a democratically-elected personnel committee and will depend on factors such as experience and education. MRNY offers an excellent benefit package including health insurance, 401K, and generous paid vacation, sick, personal days. The salary range for this position is from $51,859 - $61,859 (NOTE: The salary will be higher in FY 23 due to a 8.7% COLA raise that will be added for 1/1/23.)
How to Apply:
Please attach cover letter/resume and submit all documents to the Make the Road New York career center here
MRNY is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse staff. Women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities and people of color strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, genetic information, disability or marital status.