Inwood Community Services, Inc., a community-based not-for-profit in Northern Manhattan, seeks an Adult Education Counselor to support ESOL and EL/Civics students. The schedule is 14 hours/week, Monday-Thursday, 5:30PM-9PM. Service provision is primarily in-person with some flexibility for remote follow-up with students
- Dedicated educators with good interpersonal skills committed to empowering adult immigrant students
- Spanish/English bilingual applicants with 3-plus years’ experience in adult education or literacy
- Applicants able to form referral networks with education, training, employment, and social services
- Assess and develop Individual Service Plans for incoming students; follow up to evaluate student progress and assist students with education, training, job and personal goals.
- Develop and maintain networks appropriate for referrals for services needed
- Assist in the smooth delivery of classes. Counselors may deliver workshops on appropriate topics; support teachers with issues relating to class management; and follow up with students on issues related to learning, attendance, retention or other area of concern.
- Participate in registration, orientation, pre- and post-testing
- The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s Degree plus three years’ experience in adult literacy
- Fluency in Spanish and English
- Familiarity with the local area of Inwood and surroundings is a plus
- Certification in Best Plus Administration or willing to become certified
- COVID vaccination is required with very rare exceptions based on religious or medical exemption
Compensation: based on experience.
ICS is a not-for-profit in the Inwood neighborhood of Northern Manhattan with diverse community-oriented programming including its nearly 40-year Adult Literacy program. We welcome staff from the local area as well as those outside the neighborhood committed to the field of adult literacy.
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.