Reporting directly to the Program Coordinator, the Instructor will implement the Adult Literacy ESOL Program. The Instructor is primarily responsible for delivering courses, including tailoring the curriculum for different levels of instruction and developing lesson plans. The Instructor also is responsible for tracking and reporting student data and achievement results.
The Instructor must be an active member of the Sunnyside Community Services Youth and Family Services team and demonstrate a strong commitment to the agency’s overall commitment to community building.
1. Program Implementation
- Provide English language instruction to adults whose primary language is not English in a program operating four days per week, twelve hours per week.
- Teach courses using a contextualized curriculum that is relevant to student life experiences such as parenting, health care, finances, and job development.
- Incorporate the Common Core State Standards within the instruction provided.
- Administer BEST Plus test as a pre-test and post-test to all students and report on achievement results.
- Participate in outreach when necessary
- Tailor the curriculum for each level of instruction to match student needs as reflected in pre-test scores on BEST Plus test.
- Develop daily lesson plans, provide instruction, evaluate academic progress of individual students on a scheduled basis, and track relevant data.
- Enter data into student database systems to track student demographics, attendance, persistence, performance, and post-program outcomes, while ensuring that it is complete, accurate, verifiable, and up-to-date.
- Attend mandatory professional development trainings and meet regularly with supervisor and other staff members to share best practices and address challenges.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field required with Master’s preferred.
- Experience working with adult immigrant population is required. At least one year experience teaching in a community-based ESOL Program is preferred.
- Experience with BEST Plus test is preferred.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Word and Excel.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills, with the ability to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain complete and accurate data, with keen attention to detail.
- Must be committed to providing services in a manner that is sensitive to the diverse cultures and backgrounds of participants.
Sunnyside Community Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer