New York Public Library
The Adult English Language and Literacy (AELL) department is the direct service provider of ESOL and adult literacy instruction for the Library. AELL offers free instruction to adult patrons in reading, writing, speaking and listening from a 0 to 8th grade level. Through formal classes in language and literacy, as well as elective offerings such as English conversation and citizenship preparation groups, The Assistant Coordinator provides operational, administrative and logistical support in enrolling and tracking students.
Reporting to the AELL Coordinator, the Assistant Coordinator will:
- Manage data and required student files for over 6,000 students per year.
- Coordinate student intake, assessment and registration events four times a year across the system for 184 classes per cycle.
- Create and provide outreach materials (fliers, updating webpage)
- Manage purchasing activities through Workday by producing requisitions, tracking purchase orders, processing invoices for payment, managing use of procurement cards, coding invoices from vendors, and verifying vendor payments are processed
- Monitor, order and distribute office supplies, annual renewal of maintenance contracts
- Support the oversight of NYS Dept. of Education program compliance requirements for maintaining 500 individual student files (writing samples, test scores, ADA consent forms, etc.) in accordance with the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) audit expectations.
- Provide Case Management support to the team of Intake Advisors in the absence of the Program Coordinator
- Perform other duties as required
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 2 years successfully demonstrated administrative experience
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills, including the ability to respond effectively to phone inquiries and to deal tactfully and effectively with Library staff and the public
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of technology, including: NYPL’s Google suite that includes document and spreadsheet management, presentation software; email, and online calendars, Zoom and Google Meet.
- Demonstrated ability to perform detailed work with speed and accuracy
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong commitment to high quality and productivity
- Successfully demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision in a collaborative team environment; exercise good judgment, discretion, and initiative, and meet deadlines
- Spanish language proficiency preferred
- Certification in Best Plus test administration