- Teach and manage a Basic Adult Literacy class primarily for Arabic women who had little or no schooling in their home countries
- Create lesson plans and activities for students of varying abilities and needs
- Keep accurate and detailed records on attendance, and student progress
- Communicate effectively with other members of the HEP team on student progress
- Participate in community outreach and student recruitment efforts as needed
- College graduate (Master’s preferred) with minimum three years of teaching experience
- Experience teaching adults with little or no formal education
- Experience working with at-risk adult populations
- Experience working in a New York City public school environment
- Strong organization and communication skills
Salary: $55/hour for 9 hours each week.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to Tim Warren at TimW@hep.nyc
About Us: Harlem Empowerment Project is a school-based organization located in Harlem and the Bronx. We work through the public schools and other community organizations to offer career and education services for all adults in the community. Classes are created on an as-needed basis and typically meet in public schools during the school day. Most of our students are parents living in Harlem and the South Bronx, many of whom are seeking better jobs and need to advance their education and/or improve their English language skills. We hold ESL classes for a wide range of levels, from Basic Adult Literacy to High Intermediate; GEDHSE/TASC preparation; job-skills classes and workshops (computer literacy, etc.); and career counseling and job placement.