NYCHA RESIDENT TRAINING ACADEMY
Title: CAREER DEVELOPMENT SPECIALIST
Unit: NYCHA Resident Training Academy
Employee Type: Full-Time, 35 hours per week
The Career Development Specialist will be responsible for facilitating and implementing the job readiness curriculum. S/he will serve as the primary instructor for three weeks of full-time training. Other duties will include supporting applicant recruitment, assessment and selection as well as graduate retention and advancement support. S/he will report to the NYCHA Resident Training Academy Director, and work closely with other BWI staff and NYCHA staff.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Facilitating NRTA related job readiness trainings.
- Establishing and enforcing high standards of trainee conduct, motivating trainees to succeed.
- Assisting participants in resume and cover letter preparation to promote their experience and abilities.
- Implementing, revising, and evaluating existing curriculum; develop additional lessons and materials as needed.
- Connecting trainees to employment opportunities and social supports.
- Tracking NRTA candidates as they progress through BWI and NYCHA’s assessment and selection processes.
- Participating in candidate selection process including conducting assessment interviews and program tryouts.
- Providing job training, job retention and career advancement assistance to program participants and alumni.
- Tracking participant performance, including job placement verification and job retention and advancement, in BWI’s customized database.
- Escorting trainees to NRTA training related events including presentations and site visits.
- Facilitating weekly TABE tests, information sessions and other recruitment events.
- Special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Experience teaching and/or facilitating groups of individuals with barriers to employment required.
- Enthusiasm and respect for working with low-income adults; strong commitment to the missions of both BWI and NYCHA’s Department of Resident Economic Empowerment & Sustainability.
- Excellent data management and computer skills (Windows, Word, Excel & Internet).
- Ability to travel to multiple sites in NYC and available to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
Compensation: Based on experience. BWI offers excellent benefits package including health, dental and retirement.
Email cover letter, resume, and salary history/requirement to:
Elsie Ramsey, Director, NYCHA Resident Training Academy – firstname.lastname@example.org
Only resumes with a cover letter will be considered. No phone calls, please.
BWI is an equal opportunity employer (EOE).
People of color, women, and local residents are encouraged to apply.