Phipps Neighborhoods is a multi-service nonprofit, established in 1972, providing a comprehensive network of educational, work-readiness and community development programs to more than 10,000 children, teens and adults each year in targeted communities across the Bronx and Manhattan. These programs include: Head Start and Early Head Start, after-school, summer camp, literacy and ESOL, pre- HSE, college prep, work readiness, resident support, and adult/family programs.
Phipps Neighborhoods, in collaboration with Hostos Community College and Montefiore Medical Center, runs a Career Network Program for young people ages 18 to 26 to begin careers in the allied health services sector. Working closely with Hostos to develop the academic, classroom-based preparation required, coupled with hands-on internships and experiential learning at Montefiore Medical Center, Phipps Neighborhoods supports young people in exploring and identifying health care professions that would otherwise be inaccessible to them. Hostos Community College built an Introduction to Health Careers seminar to expose young people to various employment opportunities in the field. Montefiore Medical Center will provide career develop and exploration and an externship opportunity that is tailored to the specific needs of out of school youth so as to create a clear pathway to employment.
The Career Navigator will be responsible for preparing our Career Network participants to acquire and sustain a career-oriented job. This person will cultivate new employment opportunities for young adults, facilitate interview preparation workshops, prepare resumes and cover letters, assist with college applications and create career plans with each student. They will also provide retention services for up to one year, ensuring that participants are staying on their career plan and accessing all employer and union benefits for which they are eligible. The Career Navigator will work as part of an interdisciplinary team to ensure that students are matched to appropriate job opportunities. He or she will:
- Cultivate new employment opportunities for young adults in the healthcare field, with a goal to place 75 – 100 students per year into jobs (through current and new employer partners).
- Liaise with current employer partners to strengthen partnership and smoothly transition students from training into job opportunities.
- Work with individual students on a Career Plan, including setting short and long term goals, and planning the path for the student to meet those goals.
- For students who choose to pursue higher education, assist with certificate registration and college applications for Associate’s and Bachelor’s degree programs.
- Create and conduct job readiness workshops including but not limited to: resume and cover letter writing, interview preparation, references and job application assistance.
- Facilitate weekly empowerment workshop on the topic of college access.
- Conduct site visits to Hostos Community College, Montefiore Medical Center and other employer partners during training and externship.
- Provide retention services to all participants who are placed into jobs and certificate programs. Ensure employees are accessing all benefits through employer and union for which they are eligible.
- Attend relevant workshops, conference, networking events and career fairs both internally and externally. Develop internal career fairs related to healthcare, as necessary.
- Assist in intake process including reviewing applications, conducting interviews and case conferencing about new enrollees in the program.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Program Director.
- Bachelor’s degree in psychology, education, social work or other appropriate field preferred.
- At least 5 years of job development and youth development experience.
- Some experience in teaching or facilitating classroom activities.
- Knowledge of healthcare field preferred.
- Strong communication skills-written and oral.
- Must be flexible, enjoy working with at-risk young adults and have a strong initiative to work in a team.
- Intermediate in Microsoft Office suite, Windows applications, internet and email required, experience with SalesForce helpful.
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits package.
To Apply: Please forward your resume and cover letter in one document outlining your skills and experience to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Career Navigator.”