JEWISH COMMUNITY COUNCIL OF GREATER CONEY ISLAND, Inc
The Case Manager - Career Counselor will be responsible for addressing the students’ barriers affecting their ability to benefit from ESOL classes, working through employment barriers, assisting students with achieving and retaining employment.
This position entails working closely with Students, Instructors, Lead Teacher, Program Coordinators/Data Managers, and Program Director to ensure the success of the program
This position includes (but is not limited to) the following responsibilities:
- Assist in outreach to identify appropriate program sites and program participants who are eligible, motivated and employment bound.
- Assist with intake, including completing the necessary paperwork with each student.
- Interview students at time of initial assessment to determine any barriers that students face from fully benefitting from the program, and assist them in overcoming those barriers by facilitating internal and external referrals. (Barriers may include, child care, housing, transportation, mental illness etc.)
- For the duration of the ESL training, schedule meetings with each student on a bi-monthly basis
- Monitor students’ development throughout their training and the pre and post-employment period, utilizing the necessary documents required by the funding source / Program Director.
- Offer career counseling to help students make appropriate career choices. Share the latest job market information and help them identify the types of jobs that are suitable based on their work experience, skills, and English levels. For those employed, encourage job retention and advancement.
- Assist students with resume preparation.
- Actively research and create awareness for benefits and resources available to the NY immigrant population (ex: healthcare, vocational training, HSE opportunities, etc.).
- Conduct individual and group employment-related workshops such as resume preparation, interviewing skills, confidence building, cultural differences in the American workplace, employer-employee relationships, and job retention skills, etc. Conduct orientation and student enrollment in job portals per funder requirements.
- Establish and maintain employer relationships, develop job bank, and place students in jobs based on program requirements.
- Maintain accurate case management/employment records, including following students’ employment as per program requirements.
- Participate in meetings and workshops held at the funding sources when deemed necessary or when helpful to the program, and participate in the required staff development workshops.
Qualifications: Bachelors Degree; culturally sensitive professional individual with good word processing skills; excellent written, communicative and interpersonal skills; accurate data-entry and typing skills; prior career counseling and workforce development experience preferred; Bi-lingual English-Spanish or Mandarin strongly preferred; good references.
Supervision: The Case Manager – Career Counselor will be supervised by the Program Director of Adult Literacy.
Work Schedule: 35 hours per week. Must be available to work day time and evening hours.
Work Environment: Work will be performed mainly at JCCGCI offices, and includes travel to ESL sites throughout the five boroughs (driving capability preferred).
Language Skills: Ability to read and speak English; Mathematical Skills. Bi-lingual English-Spanish or Mandarin preferred.
Computer Skills: Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel, and data entry; basic knowledge of computer networking processes
Physical Demands: Ability to lift 15 pounds
Reasoning Ability: Ability to make determinations of best procedures and practices to attain goals of the position.
Working Conditions: Occasionally called upon to work over schedule or odd schedules (e.g. when outreach is best accomplished after-hours or on weekends).
To apply, resumes should be emailed to both firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com with the position title in the subject line.